Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I unfortunately did not do very well in my AS Levels due to a lack of revision and just overall laziness. I managed to get three B grades in the most relevant subjects for the course I want to apply for (Modern and Medieval languages) but a U in Maths.

I know these grades are terrible for the likes of Cambridge! But I was wondering if I should bother reapplying during a gap year I am planning to take anyway if I managed to get the required grades for the course (A*AA) - or even better - through retaking one module in each subject, get a top grade in my EPQ which I am doing this year, and retake an AS during my gap year.

Thanks in advance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alafolie37)
    I unfortunately did not do very well in my AS Levels due to a lack of revision and just overall laziness. I managed to get three B grades in the most relevant subjects for the course I want to apply for (Modern and Medieval languages) but a U in Maths.

I know these grades are terrible for the likes of Cambridge! But I was wondering if I should bother reapplying during a gap year I am planning to take anyway if I managed to get the required grades for the course (A*AA) - or even better - through retaking one module in each suject, get a top grade in my EPQ which I am doing this year, and retake an AS during my gap year.

Thanks in advance
    If you get 3A*s I believe you could get automatically pooled, but yeah, just focus on performing extremely well this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If you get 3A*s I believe you could get automatically pooled, but yeah, just focus on performing extremely well this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!! Is the fail in AS maths not going to get in the way? (I plan to resit it anyway, but next year)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you!! Is the fail in AS maths not going to get in the way? (I plan to resit it anyway, but next year)
    It's not relevant to MML, I wouldn't think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It's not relevant to MML, I wouldn't think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    well that's nice of you to encourage OP like that...

OP just apply during your gap year, got nothing to lose, and if you get in you can PM Laura Yeates your acceptance letter

good luck, chin up, head down, you can do it
    Hahaha, thank you so much !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    well that's nice of you to encourage OP like that...

OP just apply during your gap year, got nothing to lose, and if you get in you can PM Laura Yeates your acceptance letter

good luck, chin up, head down, you can do it
    She's being reasonable. I'm afraid you're not. OP is unlikely to be predicted A*A*A (which would be necessary to offset, quite frankly, poor (for Cambridge) AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrammarGuru)
    She's being reasonable. I'm afraid you're not. OP is unlikely to be predicted A*A*A (which would be necessary to offset, quite frankly, poor (for Cambridge) AS grades.
    that's why i advised them to apply in their gap year i.e. with grades in hand so predicted grades don't matter anymore...

i never said she was being unreasonable, she could've presented her advice better - and if OP gets those grades they're perfectly capable of obtaining an offer so by saying 'i wouldn't bother'... it's kind of rude isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrammarGuru)
    I won't be applying this year anyway so I don't need those predicted grades, but thanks for your input I guess

ReputationRep:
    I won't be applying this year anyway so I don't need those predicted grades, but thanks for your input I guess
    Sorry if I seemed harsh. It does, without any prior knowledge bar your AS grades, seem that you'd be in the bottom 1% (at best) of all applicants.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You've answered it yourself. Apply with grades achieved

Cambridge like to see an upward academic trajectory so "poor" ASs shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You've answered it yourself. Apply with grades achieved

Cambridge like to see an upward academic trajectory so "poor" ASs shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.