Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am doing my A2s and I have noticed that I have a lot of people in my classes who are very competitive academically, and love to do better than others. This is most evident in my Maths class, the attitudes of some of the students really do make me cringe, anyone else have classes like this? Are you academically competitive yourself? Does it affect you? I'd like to hear from people about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    Hey, I am doing my A2s and I have noticed that I have a lot of people in my classes who are very competitive academically, and love to do better than others. This is most evident in my Maths class, the attitudes of some of the students really do make me cringe, anyone else have classes like this? Are you academically competitive yourself? Does it affect you? I'd like to hear from people about this
    My maths/physics classes have a lot of competition, but in a friendly way - the teachers like to set really hard questions and just sit back for an hour and watch us try and solve it, and whoever does it first gets to feel smug for a while.
    I think some friendly competition is a healthy way to keep yourself on your toes and not get complacent and work hard etc, but I do think it shouldn't go beyond that, and people shouldn't try to one-up each other in a way that makes the other person feel dumb. It should just be an encouraging motive.
    I think when you're in a class where the competition goes too far (a situation in which I have found myself in the past, and it can be unpleasant), it's best to just keep your head down and go at your own pace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfhearted)
    My maths/physics classes have a lot of competition, but in a friendly way - the teachers like to set really hard questions and just sit back for an hour and watch us try and solve it, and whoever does it first gets to feel smug for a while.
    I think some friendly competition is a healthy way to keep yourself on your toes and not get complacent and work hard etc, but I do think it shouldn't go beyond that, and people shouldn't try to one-up each other in a way that makes the other person feel dumb. It should just be an encouraging motive.
    I think when you're in a class where the competition goes too far (a situation in which I have found myself in the past, and it can be unpleasant), it's best to just keep your head down and go at your own pace
    This sounds like more of a competitive environment that I'd like for my classes. I think some people in my maths class really just try too hard to go through the questions faster than others, and some students like to tell people (outside our maths class) that they are the best in the class. I don't really have this in my other classes as such. Of course I understand everyone wants to do their best, but sometimes it just comes off cocky and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a grammar school where we are all secretly quite competitive i.e. we study hard for tests and try to get the best score in the class but don't tell people how hard we've worked. However the competition is not too extreme.
    I like that there is some competition because it keeps you working hard as you have some form of motivation, but sometimes I have found myself competing against one specific person and comparing myself to them, which is definitely not the way to go. But most of the time I am happy with the competition

ReputationRep:
    That's sad, I want to do well for myself, but nobody goes up to the ladies and says, 'I have the A*'

Most of them prefer the D anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    This sounds like more of a competitive environment that I'd like for my classes. I think some people in my maths class really just try too hard to go through the questions faster than others, and some students like to tell people (outside our maths class) that they are the best in the class. I don't really have this in my other classes as such. Of course I understand everyone wants to do their best, but sometimes it just comes off cocky and arrogant.
    yeah, i think it's best not to get too involved - in the end, doing a question quicker isn't going to get them a better grade, and hey, once they leave school, who's going to care if they did the questions faster than the other kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfhearted)
    yeah, i think it's best not to get too involved - in the end, doing a question quicker isn't going to get them a better grade, and hey, once they leave school, who's going to care if they did the questions faster than the other kids?
    Very true, I try to go at my own pace and ignore them lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, in basically all my classes, especially Law, there are students who are so competitive. Basically when they get a question right, they feel so entitled It's quite annoying at times tbh
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Luckily things were pretty chill at my 6th form and people didn't really compete. We just wanted to do the best we could

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebeckett)
    Oh yes, in basically all my classes, especially Law, there are students who are so competitive. Basically when they get a question right, they feel so entitled It's quite annoying at times tbh
    Wow, I wouldnt imagine there would be competitive students in a class like Law! Very interesting, I hope it doesnt bother you too much. Do you go to a high performing school?

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Luckily things were pretty chill at my 6th form and people didn't really compete. We just wanted to do the best we could
    Thats lucky for you Sean, most students in my maths class like to put others down if they ask a question during class it really is bothering, but I try to keep to myself haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    Wow, I wouldnt imagine there would be competitive students in a class like Law! Very interesting, I hope it doesnt bother you too much. Do you go to a high performing school?

Thats lucky for you Sean, most students in my maths class like to put others down if they ask a question during class it really is bothering, but I try to keep to myself haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean there wouldn't be competitive students in a class like Law? Well it is just annoying haha and well it's a high rated sixthform in the area . But tbh, the students in the Law class seem especially more competitive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebeckett)
    What do you mean there wouldn't be competitive students in a class like Law? Well it is just annoying haha and well it's a high rated sixthform in the area . But tbh, the students in the Law class seem especially more competitive...
    Lol i dont know, I dont study Law but I imagine there would be more than one answer to give? Haha I do History and its really a non-competitive class so I thought there would be similarities. maybe its because Law is a competitive degree so people want to do well in the A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    Lol i dont know, I dont study Law but I imagine there would be more than one answer to give? Haha I do History and its really a non-competitive class so I thought there would be similarities. maybe its because Law is a competitive degree so people want to do well in the A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha fair enough. I do History too and the class is a bit more relaxed too And yeah maybee..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    My classes are all pretty small so you know how well everyone does, and who to go to for help! It does mean that we all revise for tests so we're anywhere but last, but in lesson it's all about the stupid questions!!

At the ends of the day it matters more about how well you do than how smart people think you are.

ReputationRep:
    (this is at A2 level, at AS level it was much less so)

all of my classes are quite competitive actually. its a really nice and fun environment because at my school its been like this since year 7. there's always a clear hierarchy of who is 1st 2nd 3rd etc. although in biology it is not as evident, in chemistry physics and maths the competition is unbelievable. on some days you can actually feel the pressure coming from everyone else competing against you for top place xD

but the environment is absolutely great. nobody gets left in the dust, and we all push each other forward. even if someone loses their spot its all very joke filled and casual. although i doubt someone new would view it that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    I had good, friendly competition at college in some of my subjects. In my first year it was in A2 maths(two people, both applying for maths), AS physics(one person) and AS chemistry(one person mostly). In my second year there was less competition though because there wasn't anyone who could keep up with me in further maths or physics. I still had competition in chemistry though(against someone who was applying for chemistry).
    I'd say I'm competitive. It's just a bit of fun really though.
    If you're not happy with it, tell them. You don't have to join in with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelefi)
    (this is at A2 level, at AS level it was much less so)

all of my classes are quite competitive actually. its a really nice and fun environment because at my school its been like this since year 7. there's always a clear hierarchy of who is 1st 2nd 3rd etc. although in biology it is not as evident, in chemistry physics and maths the competition is unbelievable. on some days you can actually feel the pressure coming from everyone else competing against you for top place xD

but the environment is absolutely great. nobody gets left in the dust, and we all push each other forward. even if someone loses their spot its all very joke filled and casual. although i doubt someone new would view it that way
    Wow that sounds pretty intense! I imagine you are constantly in the 1st 2nd and 3rd category right? Haha. I think for some, competition brings out the best in them, which is great.
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I had good, friendly competition at college in some of my subjects. In my first year it was in A2 maths(two people, both applying for maths), AS physics(one person) and AS chemistry(one person mostly). In my second year there was less competition though because there wasn't anyone who could keep up with me in further maths or physics. I still had competition in chemistry though(against someone who was applying for chemistry).
    I'd say I'm competitive. It's just a bit of fun really though.
    If you're not happy with it, tell them. You don't have to join in with it.
    You sound like a very smart guy, Ive seen from around the forums you are. Its no wonder people want to throw you off your pedestal. I wouldnt say competition makes me unhappy as such, I think everyone is quietly competitive. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience as me.

Not gonna lie its always a bonus when your first or second in the class haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.