Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What route should a science undergrad take to branch out into business/finance? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in international management. I took the science route as I enjoy the subject and there might be a tiny chance I go into a med related field (I'm still studying my undergrad degree.)

Apparently work experience for a few years is effective before doing a business masters, but I wonder why business work experience in the summer or even for a single year after the degree is not worthwhile? Am I wasting time because of my science degree? Do business undergrads have the ability to jump straight into a int management masters?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You need to check the requirements for the course you're wanting to study. And no you aren't wasting your time because you're gaining a load of transferable skills and an understanding of the field if you want to stay in it.

ReputationRep:
    Experience is key in the world of business. Once you've got at least 3 years' experience you could look at an accredited MBA - it'll add more value than doing an MSc with no experience.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you want to do, if you want to move straight into Finance, you could do an MSc in Finance when you finish, which is pretty common. You could also do an MBA, after 3-5 years of work, but this is so that you can change your career and you need to be specific and honest to yourself on what you would like to do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexkol)
    You could also do an MBA, after 3-5 years of work, but this is so that you can change your career
    An MBA isn't just used to change careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    An MBA isn't just used to change careers.
    There is not real benefit if you want to do it as an MSc equivalent, as it is very broad and it is not offering any specialization. Plus it is expensive.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.