Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong to mention a movie in your PS? I wanted to mention a certain movie I watched added to my interest in the degree I want to study.

ReputationRep:
    you can talk about anything you want as long as it is relevant and you can make a good link to your subject

so don't talk about mean girls in an application to study physics

also try to make sure it's not a movie that EVERYONE has seen

but i'd use it as a last resort, write about books instead. Even worse when the movie actually has a book- makes you look lazy af

read the book instead and write about it

also, documentaries>movies

ReputationRep:
    What course are you applying for? In any case, if it is relevant to your course and impacted you in some way (e.g. furthered your interest because...) then yes, mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

DON'T DO IT.

As a recruitment professional, I wouldn't give any application the time of day which included a movie reference. For your advice.

Thanks,
    Laura. LLM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraYeates)
    Hey guys,

DON'T DO IT.

As a recruitment professional, I wouldn't give any application the time of day which included a movie reference. For your advice.

Thanks,
    Laura. LLM
    What if someone is applying for ... let's say ... media studies? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    you can talk about anything you want as long as it is relevant and you can make a good link to your subject

so don't talk about mean girls in an application to study physics

also try to make sure it's not a movie that EVERYONE has seen

but i'd use it as a last resort, write about books instead. Even worse when the movie actually has a book- makes you look lazy af

read the book instead and write about it

also, documentaries>movies
    Yeah I've already written about books in my PS so far so thought a movie would change things up a bit. But I realised the movie does have a book behind it, so I'll read the book and mention that instead. Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Yeah I've already written about books in my PS so far so thought a movie would change things up a bit. But I realised the movie does have a book behind it, so I'll read the book and mention that instead. Thanks
    Depending on the subject and the book, I might avoid talking about the book, if it's a fiction book or even a biography (so I wouldn't advise mentioning something like 'Wolf on Wall Street' for economics for example) - focus on books that have theory in them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    no problemo goodluck

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.