Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just watched "The Breakfast Club" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    AND I FREAKING LOOOOOOOVEEEE IT!

It's such an awesome movie, omg! It's like a philosophical teenage-y film. What's not to love?

ReputationRep:
    I watched this last week and whilst I found it to be a relatively good movie, I don't think it's essentially "a classic" -shrug-.

Then again I think American Beauty set the bar very high for 'emotional' movies for myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I watched this last week and whilst I found it to be a relatively good movie, I don't think it's essentially "a classic" -shrug-.

Then again I think American Beauty set the bar very high for 'emotional' movies for myself
    It definitely is a classic! 80s movies tend to be good in my experience.

I am yet to watch that.

Edit: After googling "American Beauty" I came to the conclusion that I shall never watch that movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)

It's such an awesome movie, omg! It's like a philosophical teenage-y film. What's not to love?
    Good film, not as good as perks of being a wallflower however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Good film, not as good as perks of being a wallflower however.
    Ah that was good as well, but the breakfast club beats it in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Did it feature any yummy breakfast? :ahee:

Someone recommended this to me but I never watched it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that was good as well, but the breakfast club beats it in my opinion.
    Nah those kind of movies are for those that wear Tweenies PJs.

I watch movies like Beasts of No Nation.:teeth:

Now that's a movie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh ooo)
    Nah those kind of movies are for those that wear Tweenies PJs.

I watch movies like Beasts of No Nation.:teeth:

Now that's a movie!
    You hurt my feelings! *sobs*

What's wrong with Tweenies PJs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowKiwi)
    Did it feature any yummy breakfast? :ahee:

Someone recommended this to me but I never watched it.
    Watch it then you'll see!

ReputationRep:
    It definitely is a classic! 80s movies tend to be good in my experience.

I am yet to watch that.

Edit: After googling "American Beauty" I came to the conclusion that I shall never watch that movie.
    Why would you not...American Beauty is brilliant. I'd probably think of The Breakfast Club as "classic" but not a masterpiece or anything.

ReputationRep:
    ...someone has to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Why would you not...American Beauty is brilliant. I'd probably think of The Breakfast Club as "classic" but not a masterpiece or anything.
    Meh, it doesn't seem like something I'd like.

What would you consider a masterpiece?

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it doesn't seem like something I'd like.

What would you consider a masterpiece?
    I suppose it sounds quite generic/standard on the face of it, another American white male, father in a nuclear family, having a mid-life crisis...it's better than it sounds.

Lol I don't really know, it seems quite hyperbolic a term for most movies I can think of. I guess I would class American Beauty as one; maybe The Dark Knight although this is surely a controversial choice and more about personal preference. Amelie and The King's Speech come to mind also...maybe some Tarantino like Pulp Fiction; though his films don't exactly have a "message" or "point" they are wonderfully constructed. There are stereotypical ones like Godfather I and II and Schindler's List but I never got into those films. I guess there's a lot of subjectivity here.

edit: lol I forgot Pixar. So much Pixar

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it sounds quite generic/standard on the face of it, another American white male, father in a nuclear family, having a mid-life crisis...it's better than it sounds.

Lol I don't really know, it seems quite hyperbolic a term for most movies I can think of. I guess I would class American Beauty as one; maybe The Dark Knight although this is surely a controversial choice and more about personal preference. Amelie and The King's Speech come to mind also...maybe some Tarantino like Pulp Fiction; though his films don't exactly have a "message" or "point" they are wonderfully constructed. There are stereotypical ones like Godfather I and II and Schindler's List but I never got into those films. I guess there's a lot of subjectivity here.
    I'll watch it sometime just to see if you're right. You better be!

I watched Pulp Fiction, it's an interesting film, quite good actually. Have you watched Silence of the Lambs?

ReputationRep:
    I'll watch it sometime just to see if you're right. You better be!

I watched Pul Fiction, it's an interesting film, quite good actually. Have you watched Silence of the Lambs?
    I think it may be a little bit of a marmite film (well more love vs "meh" rather than love vs hate) so I'm not promising anything per se...

Much of Tarantino is great but that's probably my favourite. The key is great dialogue I think; so many films just dress up a mediocre script to no real end. Yeah I have seen it and I considered mentioning it in my last post actually. I don't usually enjoy anything that can be construed as "horror" but I guess it's more in the vein of "psychological thriller". Perhaps Hopkins is a bit "supervillainy" but it's still a brilliant character and a super suspenseful and interesting film in general.

ReputationRep:
    I think it may be a little bit of a marmite film (well more love vs "meh" rather than love vs hate) so I'm not promising anything per se...

Much of Tarantino is great but that's probably my favourite. The key is great dialogue I think; so many films just dress up a mediocre script to no real end. Yeah I have seen it and I considered mentioning it in my last post actually. I don't usually enjoy anything that can be construed as "horror" but I guess it's more in the vein of "psychological thriller". Perhaps Hopkins is a bit "supervillainy" but it's still a brilliant character and a super suspenseful and interesting film in general.
    That's true. Silence of the Lambs is one my all-time faves!
    Have you watched A simple plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)

It's extremely classic. John Hughes was an amazing film maker. American Beauty is an incredible film too btw

You should watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off next (if you haven't already).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It's on Netflix, I'll try to watch it soon.

ReputationRep:
    It's on Netflix, I'll try to watch it soon.
    It's also by John Hughes. Very much another classic "philosophical teenage-y" film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    This scene is gold :adore:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.