Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stobborn Fat Problem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

(Please excuse the misspelling in the title) I am 5'9 and I think I weigh around 70 kg. I have been trying to lose weight for a long time and I am very confused and frustrated because I am not seeing results. I avoid processed foods high in sugar and saturated fat in addition to sugary drinks and fruit juice ( but I do indulge and other times slip here and there). I try to workout at least 4 times a week and I do: cardio/HIIT (30 min) and bodyweight exercises. I want to lose fat and gain muscle but it seems like I don't know what I am doing.

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Fitness FAQs. Read it.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of exercises do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Did you just start with these HIIT workouts and do you perform the same exercises on 'workout days' or do you change the around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    What sort of exercises do you do?
    At the gym I do: usually 30 minutes on the treadmill but recently I've tried 15 minutes sprints on the treadmill. 10 to 20 minutes on the bike. I then move onto arm exercises using 2 kg dumbbells. I also do a couple of lunge and squat variations and a couple of abs exercises.

If I am working out from home I do around two Youtube videos - one that is a total body workout (mostly HIIT - 20 to 30 minutes long) and another targeting a specific area such as my legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francis.C)
    Did you just start with these HIIT workouts and do you perform the same exercises on 'workout days' or do you change the around?
    I've been doing HIIT for some time now, especially when I work out from home. I don't change around much at the gym, I pretty much do the same things - building endurance and strength is something I really want, especially for my upper body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaKimi)
    At the gym I do: usually 30 minutes on the treadmill but recently I've tried 15 minutes sprints on the treadmill. 10 to 20 minutes on the bike. I then move onto arm exercises using 2 kg dumbbells. I also do a couple of lunge and squat variations and a couple of abs exercises.

If I am working out from home I do around two Youtube videos - one that is a total body workout (mostly HIIT - 20 to 30 minutes long) and another targeting a specific area such as my legs.
    Obviously it does boil down to calories in - calories out, but Hana, if you are really serious, do the big compound lifts, squads, deadlifts etc. These are not just for guys who want to get huge, because the extra muscle mass will mean your metabolism will burn more calories even when you are resting outside the gym.

See how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

(Please excuse the misspelling in the title) I am 5'9 and I think I weigh around 70 kg. I have been trying to lose weight for a long time and I am very confused and frustrated because I am not seeing results. I avoid processed foods high in sugar and saturated fat in addition to sugary drinks and fruit juice ( but I do indulge and other times slip here and there). I try to workout at least 4 times a week and I do: cardio/HIIT (30 min) and bodyweight exercises. I want to lose fat and gain muscle but it seems like I don't know what I am doing.

Please help!
    1. You cannot gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. Therefore, to gain muscle mass you must be in a caloric surplus (eat more than you burn) and to lose fat you must be in a caloric deficit (burn more than you eat)

2. I advise to drink ONLY WATER and about 2-3 litres per day. Eat sensibly and do not eat if you are not hungry. Eat 6 meals per day ( 3 primary meals, 2 small snacks) to maintain your metabolism.

3. Lastly, always do your cardio first when cutting and always work harder. After a cardio session if you haven't got sweat dripping off of your face you're not working hard enough, its going to be tough.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    Obviously it does boil down to calories in - calories out, but Hana, if you are really serious, do the big compound lifts, squads, deadlifts etc. These are not just for guys who want to get huge, because the extra muscle mass will mean your metabolism will burn more calories even when you are resting outside the gym.

See how that goes.
    It is so frustrating because I actually think that I should be in a calorie deficit but I could be mistaken as I don't count the calories I am eating or burning. I think you are right, I should start getting very serious because I am not happy with the fact that I am still using 2 kg dumbbells but to be quite honest, I am not sure on how to build endurance and move up. Thank you for your help and suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylan Coulter)
    1. You cannot gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. Therefore, to gain muscle mass you must be in a caloric surplus (eat more than you burn) and to lose fat you must be in a caloric deficit (burn more than you eat)

2. I advise to drink ONLY WATER and about 2-3 litres per day. Eat sensibly and do not eat if you are not hungry. Eat 6 meals per day ( 3 primary meals, 2 small snacks) to maintain your metabolism.

3. Lastly, always do your cardio first when cutting and always work harder. After a cardio session if you haven't got sweat dripping off of your face you're not working hard enough, its going to be tough.

Good luck
    When in a calorie deficit, how to prevent loose skin if it is not possible to gain muscle mass at the same time?

I have tried to drink that much water before but the constant trips to the bathroom put me off it but I suppose I should over look it. I tend to drink regular tea with unsweetened almond milk and no sugar, and also green tea - should I stop that?

Yeah I will do that. Thank you for your response and help!

ReputationRep:
    When in a calorie deficit, how to prevent loose skin if it is not possible to gain muscle mass at the same time?

I have tried to drink that much water before but the constant trips to the bathroom put me off it but I suppose I should over look it. I tend to drink regular tea with unsweetened almond milk and no sugar, and also green tea - should I stop that?

that will go after time with a consistent diet and workout plan.

The only thing bad about tea is the caffeine. However you cannot find a better drink for your body then water.

happy to helpQ

ReputationRep:
    It is so frustrating because I actually think that I should be in a calorie deficit but I could be mistaken as I don't count the calories I am eating or burning. I think you are right, I should start getting very serious because I am not happy with the fact that I am still using 2 kg dumbbells but to be quite honest, I am not sure on how to build endurance and move up. Thank you for your help and suggestion.
    Then I would politely suggest that you stop being such a goddamned amateur and start using this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Then I would politely suggest that you stop being such a goddamned amateur and start using this.
    lol I am such an amateur
    Thank you for the help, I will look into it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Unless you were seriously overweight (at 70kg at your height you're not) then you'll be fine.

Don't get caught up in avoiding certain foods and drinks, just make sure you're sticking to your calories and make sure everything is accounted for. I finished an aggressive cut fairly recently losing a few stone over the space of a few months and I certainly wasn't just drinking water, in fact I was mostly drinking black coffee and Coke Zero. No calories in either so they weren't going to affect my fat loss.

Don't get wrapped up in eating a certain amount of meals a day either as the myth that meal frequency affects metabolism has long been debunked. Intermittent fasting is one of the most effective dieting strategies going, in fact. Just go with whatever you feel keeps you feeling fuller throughout the day, be it a few larger meals or several smaller ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Unless you were seriously overweight (at 70kg at your height you're not) then you'll be fine.

Don't get caught up in avoiding certain foods and drinks, just make sure you're sticking to your calories and make sure everything is accounted for. I finished an aggressive cut fairly recently losing a few stone over the space of a few months and I certainly wasn't just drinking water, in fact I was mostly drinking black coffee and Coke Zero. No calories in either so they weren't going to affect my fat loss.

Don't get wrapped up in eating a certain amount of meals a day either as the myth that meal frequency affects metabolism has long been debunked. Intermittent fasting is one of the most effective dieting strategies going, in fact. Just go with whatever you feel keeps you feeling fuller throughout the day, be it a few larger meals or several smaller ones.
    I concur. Intermittent fasting is very good.

ReputationRep:
    You can't go wrong with HIIT. It's great for fat loss and boosting your metabolism.
    Eat really clean foods and the extra fat should just drop off you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.