Turn on thread page Beta

Guys, is it a turn off if a girl doesnt drink alcohol? watch

Announcements

Im in uni atm and im wondering this because my previous boyfriend had a problem with this. I never stopped him from drinking but he said it made him feel uncomfortable that he would always be drinking but i never would. He's not an alcoholic or anything but obviously being in uni he would drink quite a bit. I dont have an aversion to alcohol but honestly its just something i'd never thought about. My parents werent routine drinkers so we hardly had any alcohol in the house and i never really questioned that so i guess its just how i was brought up? I dont have a problem with going clubbing or going to bars and letting my hair down ect but a lot of people always find it weird when im at a club dancing with friends and i never get any alcohol :/

ReputationRep:
    It's fine hun when I go clubbing I'm going to order milk

In all seriousness OP, you could get water and pretend its vodka. I've done that loads of times before.

Some guys might respect it but others won't. You don't need to drink to have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im in uni atm and im wondering this because my previous boyfriend had a problem with this. I never stopped him from drinking but he said it made him feel uncomfortable that he would always be drinking but i never would. He's not an alcoholic or anything but obviously being in uni he would drink quite a bit. I dont have an aversion to alcohol but honestly its just something i'd never thought about. My parents werent routine drinkers so we hardly had any alcohol in the house and i never really questioned that so i guess its just how i was brought up? I dont have a problem with going clubbing or going to bars and letting my hair down ect but a lot of people always find it weird when im at a club dancing with friends and i never get any alcohol :/
    Never had a girlfriend, but no I don't think it's a turn off

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink a lot of alcohol because my training regime doesn't permit it. As such I don't mind at all.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not comfortable with drinking alcohol, then don't. If others can't respect you for having morals, then it says a lot about them

Nah, I don't drink all that much anyway. I like to have one or two sometimes, but never more. Been there, done that.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually a complete turn off for me personally to see a female getting "smashed" with a pint in her hand, acting like a complete mess.

I would respect you a lot more for deciding to not follow in accordance to pressure from your peers for choosing not to behave like a baboon just to feel like you're fitting in and conforming to others expectations of having "fun".

No, it just makes the job more difficult.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    The more a girl drinks, the more of a turn off it is. Being alcohol free is a very good thing in my books.

ReputationRep:
    Serious respect. The first step on the path to becoming good muslim.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer girls that don't drink alcohol, they're very rare these days.

a turn on for me

ReputationRep:
    It's not a huge turn off in itself, but I tend to find that when girls don't drink they tend to be quite reluctant to try things outside of their comfort zone in general. Obvs I'm not saying everyone is like this, but it's what I've noticed. I doubt any guy would dump or reject you purely because you don't drink.

depends on what type of guy you are after - if one night standers or just people that generally abide with western culture, then have at it...

personally for me, a girl that drinks and maybe don't know when to actually stop just looks irresponsible and would not be surprised if irresponsible stuff did happen - and since i am one for long term stuff, this would not be the girl.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really that bothered, but it might be a bit annoying not to get pissed together or share a nice sophisticated bottle of wine, and it might also be a sign that the girl is either clinically retarded or dangerously immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    I'm not really that bothered, but it might be a bit annoying not to get pissed together or share a nice sophisticated bottle of wine, and it might also be a sign that the girl is either clinically retarded or dangerously immature.
    Wait what...?

Personally the less a girl drinks, the more attractive I find her.
    I hardly ever drink myself so if a date or a girlfriend was constantly getting pissed, it would be a bit of a problem.
    A lot of girls, not all, tend to lose all sense of decency and self-respect while drinking..

ReputationRep:
    Another alcohol-free girl here! I was once in a situation where a guy tried to force alcohol upon me, and when I refused him and his friends called me frigid/pussy/etc. I'll say that he was sh*t-faced drunk, but I wouldn't want to hang about with someone who doesn't respect my choices.

I'll have a cider or something if I feel comfortable with the people I'm with, but I personally don't know the effects that a large amount has on me so I tend to play it safe. Alcohol makes people do stupid things they regret, and some guys (and girls, and non-binary folks) use it to get their partners/dates into situations they might not be comfortable in if they were sober. I'm not going to stop someone from getting hammered if that's their intentions, but I have a problem with those who try to force it onto other people.

If a guy can't/won't respect my decisions, then he can do one.

ReputationRep:
    Probably the biggest turn on that there is outside of benevolence.

ReputationRep:
    It would largely depend upon the rationale; but in most cases, yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.