Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Considering Studying Law, already been through uni. Looking for some advice please watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks, I am looking for some advice from those in the know.

I graduated university a few months ago with a 2.1 Honours degree in Finance and Economics form the University of Strathclyde. Essentially now I am stuck trying to make a decision on what I want to do with the foreseeable future.

My problem is that I didn't enjoy finance and economics enough to justify working in that area. I have explored my employment opportunities but I don't feel I would be satisfied working in that area. So now I am looking to explore my options further.

Anyway, what I am looking for is some advice about studying law. I would likely enrol in the accelerated LLB ( lets just assume for the time being that I can finance this course) . So firstly, has anyone been on an accelerated LLB course and can tell me a bit about what it is like ?

Secondly, for me to go back to uni I would need to know I am going to enjoy it. Aside from trawling the internet and reading about on the university websites, which I have been doing, how else can I find out the basics about studying law ? Is there perhaps any books that anyone could recommend ?

Thanks very much, really would appreciate any help.

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    You could do the GDL(conversion course) which is only one year. (I haven't read your post fully, sorry if you have mentioned something in regards to it).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, no worries I am aware of the GDL conversion course and I have seen it mentioned but I am not sure what it entails. I will look into this. Could anyone perhaps give me some indication as to how the GDL differs from the accelerated LLB, advantages and disadvantages perhaps ?

Thanks again,

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finglas)
    Hi, no worries I am aware of the GDL conversion course and I have seen it mentioned but I am not sure what it entails. I will look into this. Could anyone perhaps give me some indication as to how the GDL differs from the accelerated LLB, advantages and disadvantages perhaps ?

Thanks again,

Jamie
    An accelerated course will be 2 years, a GDL 1 year. From what I have read the GDL is harder, probably because it's all in one year. I also assume it costs more to fund the accelerated course than the GDL for obvious reasons. I am not sure about the difficulty level of getting into these courses, again I assume the GDL is more difficult to get into as it seems like the more popular route to take. Over all I think the GDL is more respected by firms, but that is just my opinion from what I have read. You must conduct your own research and I'm not completely informed myself. good luck Jamie.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent start, thanks very much. Really appreciate the help with that

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    Sorry folks I should have mentioned. I stay in Scotland and I would want to stay here. So with this in mind I dont think the 1 Year GDL course is an option. I think the only option for non law students is the accelerated LLB.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    This isn't too helpful, but I'm a third year law student and last year nearly finished me off. Bleh.

Are you sure you want a career in law? There's no point in doing the degree if not.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry folks I should have mentioned. I stay in Scotland and I would want to stay here. So with this in mind I dont think the 1 Year GDL course is an option. I think the only option for non law students is the accelerated LLB.
    what about the CILEX route?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by polpo)
    x
    Won't let me message you back, open your pm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Won't let me message you back, open your pm?
    ]

does it work now?

ReputationRep:
    Coatedlemons, what was it that nearly finished you off ? Workload or a dislike for the subject ? Would you recommended law in general ?
    I have been there with finance and economics, very painful times indeed. It was a nightmare at times.

I'm not at all sure I want a career in law I am just exploring options and I came across it as an idea.

I'm not sure what the CILEX route is. I will look into this. Thanks for bringing it up

All the best
    Jamie

ReputationRep:
    x
    This is similar to the route that I took, though I did the full three year LLB. To my mind, it's beneficial to do the accelerated LLB over the GDL. In speaking to law firms, they had a preference for my doing the LLB over a GDL - you will get more breadth.

That being said, what is it that makes you not want to work in finance/economics? And why do you think that law will be different?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.