The Student Room Group

Joint honours personal statement?!

I am applying for english literature and film at KCL and Manchester but just english BA at Newcastle, Bristol and possibly sheffield. I have wrote a personal statement for english primarily, and in my personal interests/hobbies etc mentioned my new fascination for film in conjunction with literature (and how I enjoy writing scripts and reviews etc.) Will writing only 3 lines dedicated to film be enough for the joint honours or do i need to dedicate a lot more to it? Just don't want to send a literature dominated personal statement to a uni when half of my course will be based on film. :/
Reply 1
Original post by Tom5pence
I am applying for english literature and film at KCL and Manchester but just english BA at Newcastle, Bristol and possibly sheffield. I have wrote a personal statement for english primarily, and in my personal interests/hobbies etc mentioned my new fascination for film in conjunction with literature (and how I enjoy writing scripts and reviews etc.) Will writing only 3 lines dedicated to film be enough for the joint honours or do i need to dedicate a lot more to it? Just don't want to send a literature dominated personal statement to a uni when half of my course will be based on film. :/

How common are English lit and film degrees? If they're only offered at a few unis then they won't think it's strange - everyone else applying will have to do the same thing.

If it's more that you can't decide between film or not, then it will look strange. You need to decide which you want most, and focus your PS on that option.
Original post by Tom5pence

Hi, my friend applied for joint honours maths and psychology at one university and just psychology at all the rest. I would talk to your school/college about it first but what she did was she wrote her main personal statement on UCAS focusing only on psychology, then she wrote a second one focusing on maths and sent it by email only to the university she was applying for joint honours at. She got in and is studying there now, so it must have worked :wink:
Hope this helps
:smile:
See if KCL and Manchester will accept a separate statement. Otherwise I'd have one para about the links between your two subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending