Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Unintentional shoplifting watch

Announcements

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so bare with me.

Basically I have mental health problems, quite severely, and last night I was feeling really bad. I dissociate when I get very stressed/upset and i went to the shops to get a ready meal as I didn't feel up to cooking. I was in the shop at self service when I realised I had the bag in my hand and was just packing all the food into it without scanning. I panicked when I realised what I was doing and took it all out again but I looked and saw the staff looking at me. It honestly was not intentional and I have done it before. I am scared I will do it one day and get done for shoplifting. What should I do? Would I be prosecuted for this? I was so worried that they were going to take me away.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps make an effort to go to the regular checkout in future so you can't do this accidentally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so bare with me.

Basically I have mental health problems, quite severely, and last night I was feeling really bad. I dissociate when I get very stressed/upset and i went to the shops to get a ready meal as I didn't feel up to cooking. I was in the shop at self service when I realised I had the bag in my hand and was just packing all the food into it without scanning. I panicked when I realised what I was doing and took it all out again but I looked and saw the staff looking at me. It honestly was not intentional and I have done it before. I am scared I will do it one day and get done for shoplifting. What should I do? Would I be prosecuted for this? I was so worried that they were going to take me away.
    Leg it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Write a one word reminder on your hand so you'll see it when you start packing the items away unintentionally.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.