Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eligible to apply for PGCE mathematics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone ,

I have a business degree with a 2:2 classification from the London school of economics. I did an IGCSE in maths and an A level in math and got an A grade for both . I obtained these qualifications from an international school in riyadh. I have work experience in teaching primary school but not in secondary school. I'm interested in doing a PGCE secondary mathematics. I understand that my degree doesn't have 50 percent math content which is a requirement and that I would probably have to do a subject knowledge enhancement course. With these conditions, in your opinion do u think I would be eligible for PGCE math. And how would I apply for the SKE course, is there a separate application or would I need to apply for the PGCE math first ?

Thank u
    Maria
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mimimaria)
    Hi everyone ,

I have a business degree with a 2:2 classification from the London school of economics. I did an IGCSE in maths and an A level in math and got an A grade for both . I obtained these qualifications from an international school in riyadh. I have work experience in teaching primary school but not in secondary school. I'm interested in doing a PGCE secondary mathematics. I understand that my degree doesn't have 50 percent math content which is a requirement and that I would probably have to do a subject knowledge enhancement course. With these conditions, in your opinion do u think I would be eligible for PGCE math. And how would I apply for the SKE course, is there a separate application or would I need to apply for the PGCE math first ?

Thank u
    Maria
    First things first: Maths not Math.

You should apply for the PGCE. You are correct in assuming that you are likely to be asked to do a SKE. The provider will make that decision though.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ This

Get some secondary experience too though - even just a couple of weeks will do it. You need to be able to show in your application that you understand the demands of secondary teaching (it's just totally different to primary! No better/worse/easier/harder - just different ).

ReputationRep:
    Thank u both for replying . Also I have an IGCSE in English as a second language would that suffice or would I have to take a GCSE in English?

Thank u

ReputationRep:
    You will probably need a qualification in First Language English, but the IGCSE in particular is easy enough to achieve. Just find a school that will let you enter as an independent candidate for papers 2 and 3 (reading and writing) of the Cambridge IGCSE First Language English (subject code 0500). No coursework needed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.