Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised that I know absolutely nothing about uni and I'm kinda freaking out since i have to decide everything in the next few months. First of all, do you have to pay course fees up front? I always thought you only had to pay when you got a job an earned a certain amount of money but I'm guessing that's just for student loans. Where do you live once you get to uni? I'm planning on going to a uni quite far from home and I always assumed that everyone got their own small room for the first year but after googling for a bit I found out that you have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpookyMulder)
    First of all, do you have to pay course fees up front? I always thought you only had to pay when you got a job an earned a certain amount of money but I'm guessing that's just for student loans.
    In the UK, everyone has to pay tuition fees by some means. That will usually be £9000 a year for an undergrad degree.

If you're a UK resident and eligible for Student Finance, then you will get a Tuition Fee Loan which covers the entire amount of your tuition fees. It's paid in instalments direct from Student Finance to your uni - you never see the money. Once the loan has been approved, you don't need to worry about it again apart from repaying it. Student loan repayments only start when you begin earning over £21,000 a year, which is probably what you were thinking of.

If you don't qualify for SF or you don't want to take out the loan, then you must pay the fees direct to the uni yourself. You can either pay the each year's fee up front at the start of the academic year, or most unis will allow you to pay in two or three instalments at set points through the year. However that facility is decided by each individual uni, so you should check your options for direct payment on their website.

Where do you live once you get to uni?
    Most unis provide (rented) student accommodation for first year undergrads. Usually that will be in uni halls, although some unis don't have enough capacity to house all first years and will also provide other forms of rented accommodation. Halls can either be owned/run by the uni, or by commercial accommodation companies which use the uni branding.

You should expect to share the equivalent of a flat-sized unit in halls with several other students, with your own room (although room sharing is more common in London where space is tight). You will generally have shared living space and kitchen. Bathrooms may either be en suite or shared, with the former being more expensive.

Usually, you will have to find your own private rented accommodation in the second and third years.

I'm planning on going to a uni quite far from home and I always assumed that everyone got their own small room for the first year but after googling for a bit I found out that you have to pay?
    Everyone has to pay for their uni accommodation. Mostly, the rent is slightly lower than the private rented sector in the area. However, sometimes it can be more expensive. Bear in mind that uni Halls will generally include all bills (heating, water, internet access, lighting etc), where this will be extra in private rented. Make sure you understand the costs (and whether you can afford them) up front before signing a tenancy agreement.

The SF Maintenance Loan can be used to pay the rent, although many people these days find that this doesn't cover the entire rent cost for the year. They need to get money from parents or a job to make up the shortfall and to give them money for other things like bills (in the second and third years), food and travel

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.