Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

revising maths gcse in 18 days and geting an A* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    can this be done. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you have a natural talent for maths then this will be easy. If not, you should still be able to get at least a B if you buckle down and work hard. Mind if I ask why you need an A* at GCSE? You don't even need a grade that high for Further Maths, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH127)
    Yes, if you have a natural talent for maths then this will be easy. If not, you should still be able to get at least a B if you buckle down and work hard. Mind if I ask why you need an A* at GCSE? You don't even need a grade that high for Further Maths, really.
    well two years ago i got an A in gcse math and did a level maths but in order to do the career that i want i need an A* so i could do further maths

ReputationRep:
    If you payed attention in class then you'll be fine. I didn't revise at all and got an A*, my best mate revised a fair amount and got an A. My other mate revised maths and only maths and got a D. If you have the natural talent you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol303)
    well two years ago i got an A in gcse math and did a level maths but in order to do the career that i want i need an A* so i could do further maths
    I've seen people do Further Maths at A level with a grade B before, not sure why you'd need an A*. As I've said though, it should be doable if you put enough effort in. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You need an A to do Further Maths at most colleges and sixth forms. If you don't get the grade, is it possible to transfer and do it at a different college?

ReputationRep:
    thank you all for the help

ReputationRep:
    There is a low chanceh, however i know a friend who never revised throughout the school year and got an A and sadly few marks of an A*. You just need to be gifted and talented to be capable like him and also pay attention in class thats what i am doing now im in year 10 did a gcse last yr for cose science and sadly got a B thats because i did bad in phisics! Make sure you study a lot and revise everyday during your free time sacrifice your free time and make it useful like me. focus a lot in lessons!

ReputationRep:
    Also maths isnt too hard you just need to get hang of the hared stuff and the easier stuff will automatically be learned. in maths all the smalle things link up with the harder things so you may need to focus more on the harder topics such as the Pythagoras theorem and statistics if you do further maths. Also 18 days is plenty of time to revise on maths unless you arent doing further maths!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    yes it can be done, if u have learned everything in every class and understand concepts, it makes going back easier and hence quicker. i learned it in class and have not start revising yet even though my exam is in november. i didnt revise for any mocks nor past papers my teacher provided me and i still get B, A or even A star for some. it shows that if i do revise even for like 3 days then im on a good track for sure

ReputationRep:
    Maths is different to most subjects in terms of revision as you're not remembering any facts you can recall, you're applying problem solving skills and you're mathematical ability which you have developed over the years. As such, if you've 'Always had it with maths', the stuff you've done so far is fine and is your revision. If you're shaky on anything long term practice is esseintal, however GCSE is quite simple for the most part, so really from what it sounds like you should be fine either way.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible. Have a look at my guide to getting an A* in maths here: http://oxbridgeblog.com/?p=459 Hope that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH127)
    Vast majority of sixth form and colleges require an A* at GCSE for Further Maths and now more recently an A at GCSE for normal A-level Maths.

(Original post by zak40)
    It's definitely possible. Have a look at my guide to getting an A* in maths here: http://oxbridgeblog.com/?p=459 Hope that helps...
    This is actually pretty cool

ReputationRep:
    My sister did it in 14 days before her June exam and got an A.

And she hates maths!

Anything is possible if you put your effort in!
    GOOD LUCK! I HOPE YOU HAVE THE SAME SUCCESS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zak40)
    I honestly think the key to getting an A* is simply understanding the topics and practicing the topics.

I see people making notes on Maths and this really isn't the way to go - yeah you gain a basic understanding of what to do, but it is difficult to apply it. Hence why Maths revision should be entirely based on practice. Making notes on topics such as graph transformations I understand because that's more of a memory task, but notes on (for example) inequalities or factorisation is just ludicrous!

I also think you missed out the most important exam tip of all - WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU KNOW. I really wouldn't be where I am ability wise if I didn't do this, and I think the same goes for most people I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I honestly think the key to getting an A* is simply understanding the topics and practicing the topics.

I see people making notes on Maths and this really isn't the way to go - yeah you gain a basic understanding of what to do, but it is difficult to apply it. Hence why Maths revision should be entirely based on practice. Making notes on topics such as graph transformations I understand because that's more of a memory task, but notes on (for example) inequalities or factorisation is just ludicrous!

I also think you missed out the most important exam tip of all - WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU KNOW. I really wouldn't be where I am ability wise if I didn't do this, and I think the same goes for most people I know.
    Seriously...? I thought exercises and papers was the way to go lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Seriously...? I thought exercises and papers was the way to go lol?
    Seriously!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaisalNaeem03)
    This is actually pretty cool
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)

You're right in saying notes only help to some extent, because maths exams definitely aren't just memory tests like some other subjects. Spending hours creating pretty notes won't get you an A*, but practising different questions is an important step in testing yourself, and it also makes you more familiar with the style of questions you'll get in an exam. As you say though, you will just have to memorise some facts (graph transformations etc.), for which notes can be really helpful.

Personally, for my maths exams I prepared a page of notes on facts I wasn't so confident with, memorised them, then practised questions to consolidate what I'd learnt. You're absolutely right, but different revision methods suit different people more than others

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.