The Student Room Group

How do you pronounce "Meme"?

Poll

How do you pronounce "Meme"?

I've always pronounced it as "Memey" but a mate told me it's supposed to be pronounces as "Meeeeem", I dunno it just doesn't sound the same to me haha! :tongue: What about you???
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
+1
Reply 3
Meem.

But secretly mimi
"miːm"
Meme comes from Greek, not French. If it were a French loanword, you would have been correct. To be specific, it's based on part of a Greek word, but it was coined by a British biologist named Richard Dawkins, so it uses English phonetic conventions.

Loanwords retaining the original spelling is part of why English pronunciation is a mess. Many other languages would have just localised a word like Jalapeno into Halapinyo or something. As things stand, you have to be able to identify a word's origin and know the phonetic conventions of the original language to be able to pronounce half the words in the dictionary properly. At the very least, you need a rudimentary ability to pronounce things in French and Spanish for the great majority of loanwords. Greek and Latin come up frequently as well, but because our Alphabet is Roman, that's not as much of a stretch.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jeremy1988
Meme comes from Greek, not French. If it were a French loanword, you would have been correct. To be specific, it's based on part of a Greek word, but it was coined by a British biologist named Richard Dawkins, so it uses English phonetic conventions.

Loanwords retaining the original spelling is part of why English pronunciation is a mess. Many other languages would have just localised a word like Jalapeno into Halapinyo or something. As things stand, you have to be able to identify a word's origin and know the phonetic conventions of the original language to be able to pronounce half the words in the dictionary properly. At the very least, you need a rudimentary ability to pronounce things in French and Spanish for the great majority of loanwords. Greek and Latin come up frequently as well, but because our Alphabet is Roman, that's not as much of a stretch.

Nice try.
Original post by Multitalented me
I've always pronounced it as "Memey" but a mate told me it's supposed to be pronounces as "Meeeeem", I dunno it just doesn't sound the same to me haha! :tongue: What about you???

you must have sounded like an absolute belljob hahaha
Reply 8
Original post by jeremy1988

Funnily enough, in my experience, Latin-rooted words are barely ever pronounced correctly :lol:

Also, even knowing that 'meme' is Greek-rooted, I had to look up the Greek spelling, as the thread made me curious to check which 'e's it was written with. And found that neither of the OP's options are correct, assuming you want to keep it pure Greek: mee-ma.
Depends on your accent.
Like the Arabic letter for M! So meeeem
Always meem.. I once heard someone say memey and was violently sick...
it's pronounced 'mey mey'
Reply 14
Meem
Did you actually use the word meme in real life?

Mem
Reply 17
Meem memey sounds like something a 5 year old would say.
Reply 18
Meeeeem :fluffy:
An extract from Dawkin's 'The Selfish Gene':
"We need a name for the new replicator, or a noun that conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation. 'Mimeme' comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds a bit like 'gene'. I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate mimeme to meme. If it is any consolation, it could alternatively be thought of as being related to 'memory', or to the French word 'même'. It should be pronounced to rhyme with 'cream'."

Quick Reply

Latest