9.3%
"Meeeeem" (117)
90.7%
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've always pronounced it as "Memey" but a mate told me it's supposed to be pronounces as "Meeeeem", I dunno it just doesn't sound the same to me haha! What about you???
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'Meem'.
J.Ryder
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
'Meem'.
+1
AsandaLFC
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"May-umh"

Posted from TSR Mobile
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meem.

But secretly mimi
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"miːm"
jeremy1988
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meme comes from Greek, not French. If it were a French loanword, you would have been correct. To be specific, it's based on part of a Greek word, but it was coined by a British biologist named Richard Dawkins, so it uses English phonetic conventions.

Loanwords retaining the original spelling is part of why English pronunciation is a mess. Many other languages would have just localised a word like Jalapeno into Halapinyo or something. As things stand, you have to be able to identify a word's origin and know the phonetic conventions of the original language to be able to pronounce half the words in the dictionary properly. At the very least, you need a rudimentary ability to pronounce things in French and Spanish for the great majority of loanwords. Greek and Latin come up frequently as well, but because our Alphabet is Roman, that's not as much of a stretch.
callum_law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jeremy1988)
Meme comes from Greek, not French. If it were a French loanword, you would have been correct. To be specific, it's based on part of a Greek word, but it was coined by a British biologist named Richard Dawkins, so it uses English phonetic conventions.

Loanwords retaining the original spelling is part of why English pronunciation is a mess. Many other languages would have just localised a word like Jalapeno into Halapinyo or something. As things stand, you have to be able to identify a word's origin and know the phonetic conventions of the original language to be able to pronounce half the words in the dictionary properly. At the very least, you need a rudimentary ability to pronounce things in French and Spanish for the great majority of loanwords. Greek and Latin come up frequently as well, but because our Alphabet is Roman, that's not as much of a stretch.
Nice try.
Tabstercat
Badges: 14
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I've always pronounced it as "Memey" but a mate told me it's supposed to be pronounces as "Meeeeem", I dunno it just doesn't sound the same to me haha! What about you???
you must have sounded like an absolute belljob hahaha
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jeremy1988)

Funnily enough, in my experience, Latin-rooted words are barely ever pronounced correctly :lol:

Also, even knowing that 'meme' is Greek-rooted, I had to look up the Greek spelling, as the thread made me curious to check which 'e's it was written with. And found that neither of the OP's options are correct, assuming you want to keep it pure Greek: mee-ma.
Butterfly92xo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Me.
Me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends on your accent.
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Like the Arabic letter for M! So meeeem
Hevachan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Always meem.. I once heard someone say memey and was violently sick...
InternetGangster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it's pronounced 'mey mey'
m3m
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meem
zyzzyspirit
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you actually use the word meme in real life?

shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mem
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meem memey sounds like something a 5 year old would say.
Neuth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meeeeem :fluffy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads