Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain to me how this equation is derived. there was a question to prove this equation. tnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vp03)
    can someone explain to me how this equation is derived. there was a question to prove this equation. tnx
    I don't know the derivation but i E = I (R+r) is the same as V=IR.

ReputationRep:
    It comes from the fact that the sum of voltages across components is equal to the supply voltage. Using V=IR for two resistances r and R gives the equation.

ReputationRep:
    You just use Kirchoff's 2nd law (sum of EMFs around a closed loop = sum of p.ds around closed loop).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vp03)
    Kirchoff's 2nd law: sum of emf around a loop=sum of pds around loop

Edit: oops got beaten by nylex and co

ReputationRep:
    the revision thread might help. ive put kirchoffs' laws on it aswell

http://www.uk-learning.net/t47596.html

ReputationRep:
    THis seems like a long way rouind, but this is what I would write:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vp03)
    If you are talking about the internal resistance of a cell, then you assume that the cell is made up of a 'perfect cell' with no internal resistance, and a resistor with resistance r.

Now imagine a complete circuit with a cell and resistor.

Using Ohm's law,

e.m.f. of cell = I(R + r)

where R is the resistance of the external resistor and r is the internal resistance of the cell

Hence,

e.m.f. = IR + Ir

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.