Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How on Earth am I going to get a graduate job! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am studying at university (Social Sciences) and I did a short diploma in Maths and English which is not accredited - it just gives me points up to 60 credits so that I have my Access course certificate. I do not have any other level 2 maths / English, just the non accredited one that I have mentioned. I have applied for a customer service role at a library and I was excited, as my degree had everything to do with the position itself! They e-mailed me and said that I do not have maths or English qualifications so therefore I cannot be considered for the application, and ultimately I was unsuccessful. I am absolutely gutted as to how I am studying for a degree and yet I am getting rejected for jobs just because of maths and English I feel so deflated now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Retake your GCSEs, they're not exactly difficult subjects?
    What grades did you get anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Getting a C in maths is very easy. I used yo get 27/100 in my papers and get a C. English you may need some help...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrinaa1234)
    Getting a C in maths is very easy. I used yo get 27/100 in my papers and get a C. English you may need some help...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean by "you may need some help", do you seriously mean that or are you saying my grammar is not up to scratch? Sorry if I come across as rude but I want to get the right information lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just resit them, it will be super easy for you now. English will probably be easier as you've done a degree and I assume written plenty of essays etc. But you don't need much Maths to get a C either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    What do you mean by "you may need some help", do you seriously mean that or are you saying my grammar is not up to scratch? Sorry if I come across as rude but I want to get the right information lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Loool sorry for the misunderstanding but i actually meant help from someone . But you may not need extra support because everyones different. When it comes to maths you can teach yourself easily but english is a bit more complex (for me anyways)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just contact a local college, I did it last year. You can just do a level 2 btec/nvq course for a year in literally anything and you will have to do a Maths and English level 1 & 2 functional skills course as part of it (if you don't meet the GCSE entry requirements). You might have to pay a fee though...

Functional skills level 2 is an equivalent to GCSE at grade C (that's how I got onto my uni course) and if you pass that they will put you forward for the GCSE exam at the end of the year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.