Turn on thread page Beta

A level English literature or sociology? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I just wanted to know the pros and cons of each and which I should pick as my fourth subject because I want to finalise my choices since I'm going to be applying to colleges/sixth forms soon. My other three subjects are going to be maths, further maths and psychology. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well English literature is a facilitating subject so its more well valued by universities. Considering you're doing 2 maths I would take English as then you will have 2 really highly regarded subjects that are different. However, you should choose what you are going to enjoy the most at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    Just started AS Sociogy, Psych, English lit and Politics. Sociology and Psych are a BRILLIANT mix, I understand why some might say some of the theories overlap but its not overlap in terms of getting them confused. In terms of research methods, both are amazing because if you don't get or understand research methods in Psych, the sociology text book has it all. Like Psych you will go over advantages and disadvantages of each research method. I you're doing AQA Sociology is so interesting as it delves into everything that goes on around us in so much depth. E.g. if you're doing Education in Sociology, it delves into why some children to better than others and why.

English lit...I assume it depends on what exam board you're doing. I'm with OCR and to be honest, if you did well in GCSE there is no way you could flop it at ALevel. Writing doesn't follow the same typical PEE structure as done at GCSE as its more complex and writes in the type of way that expects sophistry. I've noticed that the huge difference between GCSE and A level is the fact that you cannot get away with not knowing anything. You have to know your authors, their life (in brief), context of the book and then what OTHERS think about the book. Is still amazingly interesting though because the books chosen usually have a distinct complexity to them that allows you to think up so many possible explanations!

In terms of which to pick, honestly, English Lit is more respected, however Sociology with a good teacher etc is one of the most brilliant subjects. Which do you feel is more suited towards you?

Any more questions please ask

EDIT: Sorry, I just want to know, what are you planning to do at university?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you've been really informative. Im thinking to study maths at university followed by a pgce so I can become a qualified secondary maths teacher.

EDIT: What do you think would be better now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stars14)
    Thanks you've been really informative. Im thinking to study maths at university followed by a pgce so I can become a qualified secondary maths teacher.

EDIT: What do you think would be better now?
    In terms of that I feel that English Lit would be better because you're going down a more academic route. English Lit would be great in that sense, but please remember that if you feel that you will do better in Sociology than English Lit then consider that too because its best to get an A in a subject you're confident in than a B in a subject you may not be.

Hope this helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You will need to do either subjects for two years since you're starting a-levels next year. I'd recommend the subject you enjoy the most but English lit is highly respected whilst sociology is not.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd enjoy sociology more because I do tend to find parts of English boring and sometimes wish it wasn't a compulsory subject to study at GCSE! I may be good at it but I can't see myself studying it for another year or two. Also, sociology goes well with psychology and I think I'll just do that. Thanks for your opinions it was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is the best subject ever. Tbh even if English lit is "facilitating" that's is mainly a factor for those who want to go to Cambridge or Oxford, ateotd no uni will look and say "oh they got a *insert bad grade* but it's ok because it's facilitating" so moral: pick what you'll enjoy, if you like learning about factors of society eg:family/education/beliefs/crime sociology is the one. If you like classic books, lots of reading, poetry then English lit! You need to choose what you believe you are best at in the hope of getting the best grade possible! Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.