x Turn on thread page Beta

How many is too many? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I'm still in high school and I want to take 5 subjects at AS level and possibly through to A-level. I just wanted to know your views and how you found them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 AS although one was critical thinking so doesn't really count - I took the other four essay based subjects through to A2. I managed fine but it meant I had less free periods than my friends who only took 3 at A2.

What subjects are you considering?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by skjdhewj)
    I do 5 at the moment, it's not too bad.. However I do Maths and Fmaths which i think would be an easier combo than 5 completely separate subjects? It's do-able i think though either way.
    Thanks for this, I was thinking of doing maths and further maths at A-level which I suppose would make it easier anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    I did 5 AS although one was critical thinking so doesn't really count - I took the other four essay based subjects through to A2. I managed fine but it meant I had less free periods than my friends who only took 3 at A2.

What subjects are you considering?
    I'm considering maths, futher maths, chemistry, physics and geology (or German) if geology isn't offered.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a student that aims for the top grade(A*) with a number of subjects yes but if any lower no. 5 a-levels is a lot more than you think it is and with the new a-levels some subjects you'll have to remember two years worth of work which is equivalent to 4/5 years worth of GCSE work in one summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    I'm still in high school and I want to take 5 subjects at AS level and possibly through to A-level. I just wanted to know your views and how you found them?

Thanks
    Imo: pointless.

Employers and universities will only expect 3 A-levels. You'd be better off focusing on 3 and doing them well instead of being average at 5.

ReputationRep:
    When applying to top universities, they look at the grades you get and do not have a preference for people with 5 AS Levels as opposed to 4.
    For example, A*A*A*A is better than AAAAB.

Please remember that the A-Levels are not as easy as they were even one year ago. It used to be that after AS exams you could forget that year and focus on A2s. Now, you have to remember everything from 2 years. Bare in mind that the people that did 5 AS who are posting above did them on the old, easier system.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Will98765)
    If you are a student that aims for the top grade(A*) with a number of subjects yes but if any lower no. 5 a-levels is a lot more than you think it is and with the new a-levels some subjects you'll have to remember two years worth of work which is equivalent to 4/5 years worth of GCSE work in one summer
    Thank you for your help, I will certainly consider everything because I do always strive for top grades and that's what I am predicted but I haven't got a clue what to expect at A level.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by celloel)
    When applying to top universities, they look at the grades you get and do not have a preference for people with 5 AS Levels as opposed to 4.
    For example, A*A*A*A is better than AAAAB.

Please remember that the A-Levels are not as easy as they were even one year ago. It used to be that after AS exams you could forget that year and focus on A2s. Now, you have to remember everything from 2 years. Bare in mind that the people that did 5 AS who are posting above did them on the old, easier system.
    Thanks for this and the only reason I'm asking is because our school isn't the best for giving advice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Reue)
    Imo: pointless.

Employers and universities will only expect 3 A-levels. You'd be better off focusing on 3 and doing them well instead of being average at 5.
    I agree you have a point, but what if I put in the effort and got top grades in them all, would that still not be considered by employers?

ReputationRep:
    celloel makes a good point. 3 or 4 A levels are understandable but any more than that seems a waste of time and just does more bad than good when it comes to your application to uni.
    If you're applying to a very good uni they're likely to make you an offer on your 5 A levels which will most likely be the same as what you'd get if you did 4 + one extra grade - if that makes sense.
    So rather than say A*AAA you'd have to get A*AAAA. Of course that only applies to universities that will actually take into consideration how many subjects you do.

I have a friend that went LSE studying 4 but received his offer for 3. I'm at Imperial and applied with 4 and got an offer of 4. I also know that UCL only offer based on 3 and not 4. I think there was one guy who was very unfortunate on here, he applied to Imperial with 5/6 and his offer was based on that - as he ended up not meeting his requirements he ended up not getting the place. His name is "The clockwork apple", seems like a really nice guy, you might want to message him and ask him of his experiences.

Ultimately though, up to you, if you're confident in you're ability then I'd say go for it, it may not help but the wealth of knowledge you gain from studying 5 a levels will no doubt give you such a good understanding of how things work and that's a great feeling. So don't do it unless you're going to do it right

ReputationRep:
    I agree you have a point, but what if I put in the effort and got top grades in them all, would that still not be considered by employers?
    It won't impress universities or employees. What does impress them is AAA rather than BCDDE for example so if you take 5 a-levels you need to ask yourself if you think you can achieve 5 A/A*s assuming you are a quite academic student
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Icicle Man)
    celloel makes a good point. 3 or 4 A levels are understandable but any more than that seems a waste of time and just does more bad than good when it comes to your application to uni.
    If you're applying to a very good uni they're likely to make you an offer on your 5 A levels which will most likely be the same as what you'd get if you did 4 + one extra grade - if that makes sense.
    So rather than say A*AAA you'd have to get A*AAAA. Of course that only applies to universities that will actually take into consideration how many subjects you do.

I have a friend that went LSE studying 4 but received his offer for 3. I'm at Imperial and applied with 4 and got an offer of 4. I also know that UCL only offer based on 3 and not 4. I think there was one guy who was very unfortunate on here, he applied to Imperial with 5/6 and his offer was based on that - as he ended up not meeting his requirements he ended up not getting the place. His name is "The clockwork apple", seems like a really nice guy, you might want to message him and ask him of his experiences.

Ultimately though, up to you, if you're confident in you're ability then I'd say go for it, it may not help but the wealth of knowledge you gain from studying 5 a levels will no doubt give you such a good understanding of how things work and that's a great feeling. So don't do it unless you're going to do it right
    Thanks for this, you've given me a lot to consider and I appreciate your time. I will try and message 'the clockwork apple' and see what he says.

I do enjoy a challenge though and I'm predicted all A* at GCSE but whether it will carry through to A level I have no idea.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It won't impress universities or employees. What does impress them is AAA rather than BCDDE for example so if you take 5 a-levels you need to ask yourself if you think you can achieve 5 A/A*s assuming you are a quite academic student
    I would consider myself academic and I'm predicted top marks across the board at the minute. After college I want to go to uni to do Physics.

ReputationRep:
    If you're good at maths then take Maths, Further Maths , Physics and two other subjects. Five at AS is easily possible and I know lots of people that do it, however 5 at A2 will be hard as there is an increase in workload and difficulty.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MCPC247)
    If you're good at maths then take Maths, Further Maths , Physics and two other subjects. Five at AS is easily possible and I know lots of people that do it, however 5 at A2 will be hard as there is an increase in workload and difficulty.
    Yeah I was thinking maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and geology. But then I wouldn't know which to drop for A2.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider myself academic and I'm predicted top marks across the board at the minute. After college I want to go to uni to do Physics.
    According to Oxford University you need Maths and Physics to do it at university therefore I'd recommend doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics for AS and A2 level. You're only giving yourself more work to do many more a-levels. One other fact- a grade students at GCSE failing a-levels is an increasingly common issue nowadays, so be very careful.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    According to Oxford University you need Maths and Physics to do it at university therefore I'd recommend doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics for AS and A2 level. You're only giving yourself more work to do many more a-levels. One other fact- a grade students at GCSE failing a-levels is an increasingly common issue nowadays, so be very careful.
    Ah right didn't know that, and I have heard about GCSE students failing later and that keeps playing on my mind, but I will try my hardest to not become one of them.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    In Year 12 I was doing four AS levels plus Welsh Bacc; in year 13 I dropped the Welsh Bacc but was doing four A2s plus an AS so basically the workload of 5. I found it fine; admittedly I spent tons of time on my Maths and Further Maths but once I'd learnt all that I had ample time to spare. If you think you can get the grades and are interested in the subjects then there's nothing wrong with it. Just know that it won't give you an advantage with universities (although there are a couple that sometimes give 4 A level offers which might be less strict than the 3 A level ones)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    In Year 12 I was doing four AS levels plus Welsh Bacc; in year 13 I dropped the Welsh Bacc but was doing four A2s plus an AS so basically the workload of 5. I found it fine; admittedly I spent tons of time on my Maths and Further Maths but once I'd learnt all that I had ample time to spare. If you think you can get the grades and are interested in the subjects then there's nothing wrong with it. Just know that it won't give you an advantage with universities (although there are a couple that sometimes give 4 A level offers which might be less strict than the 3 A level ones)
    I definitely have an interest for all the subjects I want to take and that's the reason I want to do them all. Like I've said earlier on, I want to do well in them and I don't necessarily want them to be an advantage for uni, as they won't be, but it's more just for interest and so that I can say I have studied them because I love them.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.