The Student Room Group

How many is too many?

Scroll to see replies

I'm in upper sixth now, taking 5 subjects through to A2: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Drama. I chose these subjects because I'm applying for Natural Sciences and so maths/3 sciences are relevant to my uni application (I want to take biology and physics modules so I will need all four really), and I just really enjoy my drama and don't want to give it up. I would stress that as a lot of people have said, no university will really take you just for having 5 subjects; they might be impressed if they see it, I guess, but it's a lot more important to just get good grades in the subjects you do. That said... I imagine the broader learning could be useful at interview, as it gives you more background knowledge? But at the end of the day, interview is more about your way of thinking than what you have learned in lessons.

My main advice would be that if you really want to take all 5 and you think you're up to it, then give it a go. I found it a pretty heavy workload but still made time for extra curricular stuff; A2 has been pretty heavy so far tbf, so that's a bigger decision to make, but you can always see how you feel after AS and decide if you want to drop one then. I know you'll be taking new exams so bear in mind revision time will be hellish if you have 5 subjects x 2 years to revise... but you know, it could be worth it. At the end of the day my policy has always been that if I'm not coping I can just drop a subject, I assume that would be the case for you as well? So go for it :P

(if anyone wants to know, I got 5 A's at AS and I'm predicted 5 A*s for A2)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I'd love to help out :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
I'm still in high school and I want to take 5 subjects at AS level and possibly through to A-level. I just wanted to know your views and how you found them?

Thanks

I'm doing 4 A2s and 1 AS at the moment. It's a lot of work and I don't really have time to hang out with friends very often, it is possible to do all 5 though. I'm pretty much working 5 hours a day outside of school in order to get all my work done however I am self teaching 2 of the 5 subjects so that might be why.
Original post by Louisb19
I'm doing 4 A2s and 1 AS at the moment. It's a lot of work and I don't really have time to hang out with friends very often, it is possible to do all 5 though. I'm pretty much working 5 hours a day outside of school in order to get all my work done however I am self teaching 2 of the 5 subjects so that might be why.

To be honest a social life isn't really an issue because I've never really had one :tongue: well done to you for teaching yourself, it must be hard work
If you are taking 5 subjects that you like and you don't want to drop any of them, then stick with them. If you're taking 5 to enhance your chances of getting a place at your desired uni then I'd probably recommend you just stick to the 4 you like most.
Original post by Jooooshy
If you are taking 5 subjects that you like and you don't want to drop any of them, then stick with them. If you're taking 5 to enhance your chances of getting a place at your desired uni then I'd probably recommend you just stick to the 4 you like most.

Ok thanks and I would definitely be doing it because I like the subjects :smile:
Don't do 5 if it includes German (unless you're fluent). The gap from GCSE to A Level is massive with languages, so you may struggle to find enough time to devote to it.

I have no idea what Geology is like so I don't know if its easier than German would be, but there's no point doing 5 unless you're really passionate about all the subjects and want to keep your options open. Good luck if you decide to do 5 anyway, but don't be afraid to drop a subject if the workload gets too much.
Original post by DarkMagic
Don't do 5 if it includes German (unless you're fluent). The gap from GCSE to A Level is massive with languages, so you may struggle to find enough time to devote to it.

I have no idea what Geology is like so I don't know if its easier than German would be, but there's no point doing 5 unless you're really passionate about all the subjects and want to keep your options open. Good luck if you decide to do 5 anyway, but don't be afraid to drop a subject if the workload gets too much.

Yup the fact that I can drop some is the only reason I'm considering it. I'm only taking them because I enjoy them, and I want to keep my options open to a range of stuff
If anyone has any new thoughts please post them - and if you have a minute can you check out this and offer some advice:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Quick Reply

Latest