Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

is university a waste of time/money if you're not doing an academic subject? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in media, (film, editing, advertising) etc... and I am thinking about doing an apprenticeship instead of uni ... would going university be a waste of time for me?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work in media it may be a good idea to go to uni as while a film/media degree won't garantee you a job, I think a lot of jobs in the media and advertising might require a degree (in any subject) or it gives you an advantage anyway because there's grad schemes you can do, and having a media degree shows that you are committed to and passionate about that career.

I would just choose carefully and make sure the degree has some practical training and even some work placements, or make sure you do some internships yourself in the holidays. But I think if you want to do the degree you should do it because it will still be more highly regarded that an apprentecship.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Currently, I'm not 'using' my degree as my job is in a completely different field, but that doesn't mean I've wasted my time or money. I think the benefit of going to university is in the opportunities you find there. You're given the chance to become more independent, you can certainly experience new skills in learning to deal with coursework and revision - I am yet to experience the levels of stress I had during exam periods during my degree, though my threshold for stressful situations has risen. I've held internships that have completely changed my mind about what I want to do in terms of a career which I imagine isn't as likely to occur with an apprenticeship. I don't see anything wrong in working directly to your goal, but I really appreciated the life lessons, developing as a person, and being introduced to new things (including career aspirations) as a result of university.

If you want to do an apprenticeship because you think you'll be more successful in your career then go for it! However, I wouldn't encourage you to take the apprenticeship because 'university's a waste of time'. It's really not. I might sound a bit biased, but during my degree I certainly convinced myself at times that I was wasting 3 years of my life, but it's not just about the degree

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.