username1957419
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm in Y11 doing maths and further maths I'm trying to revise for further maths does anyone know where I can find past papers for Edexcel also is it hard to get an A/A* in it?
Absent Agent
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by I need starbucks)
Hi I'm in Y11 doing maths and further maths I'm trying to revise for further maths does anyone know where I can find past papers for Edexcel also is it hard to get an A/A* in it?
There doesn't seem to be a GCSE Further Mathematics qualification in Edexcel's list. Is it international ?

Edit; Check this link for Past Paper materials. First your the level and then the qualification
ifyouseelaura
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're on edexcel, here's a link to their past papers (they have an igcse in fm). http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...2Figcse-mathsc

But I think its more common to do fm with AQA, which is a level 2 certificate. I did it last year, and yes it is tough, but the grade boundaries are low. (I think you had to get something like 15% for a c... then about 67% for an a*). With AQA you can get an a^, which i think was about 85%. I did as many past papers as I could get my hands on, and made sure I was familiar with the wording of the questions. So for gcse maths, the paper might ask "solve these 2 simultaneous equations" whereas for fm you might have a simultaneous equations question where you had to work out it was asking for you to solve simultaneous equations. If i'm honest, i found the different way of thinking harder than the additional content (which for aqa is mainly differentiation and a bit on matrices). Good luck
Segamad66
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i didnt think you could do future maths at gcse?
i know you can do future maths at a level
username1957419
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ifyouseelaura)
If you're on edexcel, here's a link to their past papers (they have an igcse in fm). http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathema tics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UKtatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UKpecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UKpecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc

But I think its more common to do fm with AQA, which is a level 2 certificate. I did it last year, and yes it is tough, but the grade boundaries are low. (I think you had to get something like 15% for a c... then about 67% for an a*). With AQA you can get an a^, which i think was about 85%. I did as many past papers as I could get my hands on, and made sure I was familiar with the wording of the questions. So for gcse maths, the paper might ask "solve these 2 simultaneous equations" whereas for fm you might have a simultaneous equations question where you had to work out it was asking for you to solve simultaneous equations. If i'm honest, i found the different way of thinking harder than the additional content (which for aqa is mainly differentiation and a bit on matrices). Good luck
thanks! do you know if its possible to do edecel normal maths and aqa further because I know for definite that the exam board for the normal maths I'm doing is edexcel?
CloakedSpartan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do edexcel iGCSE maths and AQA (technically a level 2 certificate) further maths.

This is the best place to revise and get past papers for AQA fm: http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsefm.htm

The grade boundaries are actually really low. They've stayed about the same each year, and as you can see on the website, for June 2013:

C = 33
B = 60
A = 87
A* = 118
A^ = 149
Max = 175

So for an A you only need about 50% and for an A* only around 65%.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by I need starbucks)
do you know if its possible to do edecel normal maths and aqa further
Yes you can. It's quite common.
Gogregg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ifyouseelaura)
If you're on edexcel, here's a link to their past papers (they have an igcse in fm). http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathema tics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UKtatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UKpecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UKpecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc

This. The question style is very different, and where you may find the timing on normal maths easy, it gets much more difficult at further maths. I took it (AQA) and got an A^ (exactly the mark needed, 140 (2015)).

My advice would be to nail the differentiation, because it is actually so easy, so you can gain loads of marks that way, and then just do past papers, so you can recognise the questions, learn how to prove things properly and just learn the actual maths needed, although I wouldn't suggest doing them yet!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads