Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the answers to this chapter assessment?
    Otherwise, does anyone know what to put the paramater Lambda as for this question?
    A pharmaceutical company has developed a new drug which is effective for 94%of patients. The drug is administered to various groups of patients.For any group of patients, let X represent the number for whom the drug iseffective and Y represent the number for whom the drug is not effective.
    (i) In one week, 10 patients are given the drug. State the exact distribution of X.Hence calculate the probability that the drug is effective for at least 9 of thepatients. [4]
    (ii) In one month, 50 patients are given the drug. Use a Poisson approximationfor Y to calculate the probability that the drug is not effective for 5 or fewerpatients.
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Silverthorne123)
    Does anyone have the answers to this chapter assessment?
    Otherwise, does anyone know what to put the paramater Lambda as for this question?
    A pharmaceutical company has developed a new drug which is effective for 94%of patients. The drug is administered to various groups of patients.For any group of patients, let X represent the number for whom the drug iseffective and Y represent the number for whom the drug is not effective.
    (i) In one week, 10 patients are given the drug. State the exact distribution of X.Hence calculate the probability that the drug is effective for at least 9 of thepatients. [4]
    (ii) In one month, 50 patients are given the drug. Use a Poisson approximationfor Y to calculate the probability that the drug is not effective for 5 or fewerpatients.
    Thanks
    If it is effective for 94% of patients, how would you express that as a rate for 1 patient? Then, using what you know, how do you get the rate for 10 patients?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If it is effective for 94% of patients, how would you express that as a rate for 1 patient? Then, using what you know, how do you get the rate for 10 patients?
    So do i set lambda as 9.4? and then just use the equation with x=10 and add to the equation with x=9?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So do i set lambda as 9.4? and then just use the equation with x=10 and add to the equation with x=9?
    Correct, lambda is 9.4, as long as you understand how you got there.

You're along the right lines with what you've suggested but I'm not sure what you mean by adding to the equation with x = 9.

ReputationRep:
    Correct, lambda is 9.4, as long as you understand how you got there.

You're along the right lines with what you've suggested but I'm not sure what you mean by adding to the equation with x = 9.
    If you want to find X>=9 dont you sub 9 into the equation and then add it to another one subbing 10 into the equation?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you want to find X>=9 dont you sub 9 into the equation and then add it to another one subbing 10 into the equation?
    I think that you're saying is right, yes. :borat:

So what would you write down?

ReputationRep:
    I think that you're saying is right, yes. :borat:

So what would you write down?
    X - Po(9.4)
    P(x>=9)
    =P(x=9)+P(x=10)??
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    X - Po(9.4)
    P(x>=9)
    =P(x=9)+P(x=10)??
    Yes, exactly right.

Next is probably the most trick bit of the question. What do you think you should do?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, exactly right.

Next is probably the most trick bit of the question. What do you think you should do?
    For part 2?
    x - Po(0.06*50)
    then use tables for P(x<=5)??
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    For part 2?
    x - Po(0.06*50)
    then use tables for P(x<=5)??
    :facepalm2:

I may have mislead you slightly - it may be a binomial distribution that they want in part i) rather than Poisson, if they're asking for a Poisson approximation in part ii). I'm not entirely convinced as 94% says 'rate' to me. What do you think?

But yes, your part ii) is definitely correct (though it's the distribution of Y, but I get what you mean).

And don't forget that you have to calculate the probability in part i) as well.

ReputationRep:

I may have mislead you slightly - it may be a binomial distribution that they want in part i) rather than Poisson, if they're asking for a Poisson approximation in part ii). I'm not entirely convinced as 94% says 'rate' to me. What do you think?

But yes, your part ii) is definitely correct (though it's the distribution of Y, but I get what you mean).

And don't forget that you have to calculate the probability in part i) as well.
    Ok so use x - B(10,0.94) in i
    yes and then just use y not x for second one?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Ok so use x - B(10,0.94) in i
    yes and then just use y not x for second one?
    Yes, that should be okay. and don't forget to actually find P(X>/9) in part i).

Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that should be okay. and don't forget to actually find P(X>/9) in part i).

Sorry!
    Yes ok, thank you very much for your help, makes much more sense now!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

I don't think "rate" is appropriate here - the patients aren't turning up at regular intervals in some sort of queuing system!

Reading part (i) suggests to me a fixed number of trials where each one has P("success") = P("effective treatment") = 0.94.

Hence the 2nd part is intended as a Poisson approximation to binomial

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.