Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently I have received an offer from the University of Kent to study History. I am very pleased with this offer as I do love the look of their History course and research, however they want me to get ABB, yet I'm only predicted BBB and they know this. What does it mean? I have been told before that universities go on predicted grades, so I'm a little confused, do they expect more of me or something? I do know the college have sent a letter with it as well, as my AS grades aren't what was expected of me (CCC) due to me being in hospital for half of the year and deciding to carry on instead of redo the year. Any help or insight would help please.

ReputationRep:
    Universities look at lots of things when they decide to give students an offer, they may have seen other things from you that helped them with their choice of giving you that offer, for example your personal statement may have stood out to them.

Also in some cases universities accept students even when they miss the entry requirements, for example I am currently at the university of reading, the entry requirements were ABB however I only got BBB. I was still offered a place, this could have been due to my personal statement, my interview, or just because I got a B in chemistry and that was the thing that they were more concerned about. I'm not saying that even if you miss your predicted grades you will get accepted, i'm just saying that in some cases some things are more important than just your grades.

If you got an offer then that is really good, you shouldn't question it. Also you can wait for your other universities to reply to you before you decide whether or not you want to accept Kent. You should however understand that since they want ABB and you are only predicted BBB you have to work really hard this year, and you need to have a university with a lower offer as your backup just to make sure that you are not taking a huge risk.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your A-Levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyRose97)
    Universities look at lots of things when they decide to give students an offer, they may have seen other things from you that helped them with their choice of giving you that offer, for example your personal statement may have stood out to them.

Also in some cases universities accept students even when they miss the entry requirements, for example I am currently at the university of reading, the entry requirements were ABB however I only got BBB. I was still offered a place, this could have been due to my personal statement, my interview, or just because I got a B in chemistry and that was the thing that they were more concerned about. I'm not saying that even if you miss your predicted grades you will get accepted, i'm just saying that in some cases some things are more important than just your grades.

If you got an offer then that is really good, you shouldn't question it. Also you can wait for your other universities to reply to you before you decide whether or not you want to accept Kent. You should however understand that since they want ABB and you are only predicted BBB you have to work really hard this year, and you need to have a university with a lower offer as your backup just to make sure that you are not taking a huge risk.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your A-Levels!
    Thank you for clearing it up for me/giving some advice! I didn't want to question it but couldn't help wondering (I also suffer with severe anxiety and had silly thoughts like 'what if it was a mistake' or something). They teach you generally not to apply to places that want higher grades than you're predicted, but told me to due to what happened last year and my extra curricular activities; writing book reviews for a history magazine, my blog and book on Anne Boleyn.

I do have enough place in mind with lower entry requirements for my insurance place (if they give me an offer, only Kent have replied so far) and have applied to several other universities as well, I just really liked Kent and what they had to offer with their history course and resources. They want ABB but with a B in history, which I think I can get, it is just the odd A I was worried about. I will work really hard this year, especially as I'm obviously not in hospital anymore and many of my courses are actually more interesting this year to me than they were the first year.

Thanks again for your advice!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.