Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Show that for each prime p, there exists a prime q such that n^p - p is not divisible by q for any positive integer n.

Have a go at that one!!!

MB
    I've seen this before somewhere, is it a BMO or IMO question? IMO comes to mind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    I've seen this before somewhere, is it a BMO or IMO question? IMO comes to mind...
    IMO 2003

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    IMO 2003
    q. 6?

ReputationRep:
    Exams You are studing For:
    I got the best gcse results in my college's history

From her profile.

That really made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Ok.. last one.. do this, with working please! If anyone else can do this, let me know!
    ∫ 1 / (x^4 +4) dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rieuwa)
    Correct!

Try this one.... If you get it... You're very good.... I challenge every body else on the forum as well.... Very few people got it...

12,13,14,15,20,22,30,110, ___________

If all the numbers in this sequence are in some sense equal, what would be the next (and final!) number in the sequence.

Good luck!

The numbers are all 12, written in base (11-n), taking the first term as n=1. Hence on the next term, n=9, so it's 12 written in binary.

Of course, I did not spot this, but looked the sequence up. However, if I didn't bother telling you that, I might appear much better at maths than I actually am... Perhaps we should give these dubious proofs of 'intelligence' a rest?

Besides, an 18-year-old who says they're in year 10 is clearly ripping the piss. Unless they were writing in base 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Werther)

The numbers are all 12, written in base (11-n), taking the first term as n=1. Hence on the next term, n=9, so it's 12 written in binary.

Of course, I did not spot this, but looked the sequence up. However, if I didn't bother telling you that, I might appear much better at maths than I actually am... Perhaps we should give these dubious proofs of 'intelligence' a rest?

Besides, an 18-year-old who says they're in year 10 is clearly ripping the piss. Unless they were writing in base 13.
    ah, but she's cunningly lost 4 years in about 10 minutes! check again!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can be the best int he world at maths if they are using google.com :rolleyes:

Unless, its something you can't find on the internet...

Plus, I can't remember who, but the person who did the
    pattern is to be commended. That is not a mathematical link, so clearly she's good at interpretory lateral logic as well...

Or she used, google.com...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona_smimms)
    Hi.

ever since i was born people have been saying 'im the cleverest person they've ever met'; 'Fiona...you are sooooo clever'; 'help me with this Fiona'; 'help me with that Fiona!' etc. .

i just wanna know if there is anything out there i can't do.

So ***-on- show me what ya Got UKL!!!
    Why have these got to be limited to mathematical proofs?

Whats the difference between E-IDE and IDE?
    Whats the equation for processor speed?
    Whats the difference between SAM and *.pwl and which kernals are they linked to?

etc...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, look what i've just found: she struggled on Edexcel GCSE Maths: here's a quote:

That was, admittedly, hard. omg, did anyone get the answer to the 5-mark probability question? I got stuck on that one real bad... However, I got the 2x² - 35x + 98 = (2x - 7)(x - 14). What the hell does that have to do with 4/9?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoeguy)
    Why have these got to be limited to mathematical proofs?

Whats the difference between E-IDE and IDE?
    Whats the equation for processor speed?
    Whats the difference between SAM and *.pwl and which kernals are they linked to?

etc...

wrong thread, mate!

ReputationRep:
    wrong thread, mate!
    Looks like Ive found "something" you can't do ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Mat...I jumped to the same conclusion for a minute, but she's actually trying to quote someone else, however, the quote tag is screwed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mat666)
    Oh, look what i've just found: she struggled on Edexcel GCSE Maths: here's a quote:

That was, admittedly, hard. omg, did anyone get the answer to the 5-mark probability question? I got stuck on that one real bad... However, I got the 2x² - 35x + 98 = (2x - 7)(x - 14). What the hell does that have to do with 4/9?!?
    i was purely responding to a contemporary's problem, and i naturally began the answer with 'FSHero's initial quote.

You bozo!

ReputationRep:
    Knowing everything on the GCSE syllabus isn't anything special, I have several friends who also do, and thats without the textbooks you have in front of you and everyones favourite search engine ;-)

ReputationRep:
    arcsinx+C.
    to what?

ReputationRep:
    i was purely responding to a contemporary's problem, and i naturally began the answer with 'FSHero's initial quote.

You bozo!
    EXCUSE ME, but since when quotes did not come in the blue quote boxes:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t46547-2.html
    You pretended it was a quote FSHEro, and said it was easy then laughed it off, why do u have to deny this?

ReputationRep:
    Well done "RDOH"! One can see how intelligent people born in June are.... hint hint.....

That was one of the most challenging questions on the ISMTF Junior Maths competition in Paris last year. Ever thought of taking part? The Senior Maths competition for Years 12 and 13 is at my school next year (The British School in the Netherlands).. ask your teachers!

Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)
    Ok.. last one.. do this, with working please! If anyone else can do this, let me know!
    ∫ 1 / (x^4 +4) dx
    Is this a cheeky way of getting ure homework done?! can you use partial fractions? i haven't dealt with quartic powers, can you split the fraction to 1/x^4 and 1/4?? Or subsitute for a trig value, like tan, then the differential of tan is sec^2, and you can cancel that with the bottom. I dunno my knowledge is fairly limited, plus i can't be arsed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna guess that because ure signature says "the funniest person on UKL", i'm thinking ure taking the piss.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.