Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been unable to make any of the Bournemouth open days, so just wondering what people have honestly thought about the uni?
    > What was the accommodation like?
    > Was the campus nice?
    > Any negatives?
    I'm studying English Lit so any feedback on that particular course would be fab too

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day on Saturday and Bournemouth is now my first choice!

The accommodation is the best I've seen- good size rooms, plenty of storage. 5/6 people per flat so shared kitchen facilities aren't as stressful than I'd imagine as it is in other unis where i've seen tiny kitchens for 8 people. The accommodations all have large common rooms and study rooms for group work. Many of the halls are in or near the town centre- went on a bus tour of the town and the clubs are walking distance from 4 of the halls! Beach is close by to many of them too There are bus services from each hall every 10 minutes- 4 of the halls are on the same street/ opposite each other and are pretty close to the beach Sometimes how accommodation looks on the website is nothing like it in real life. *cough* Portsmouth *cough* but Bournemouth accommodation looks just like it does on the website. (no fish-eye lens cheating!)

The talbot campus (I think english lit is there?!) is very nice- the SU building is really big and modern. There are starbucks everywhere! xD The refractory is great too- really nice salad bar, many options, papa johns pizza was v popular on the open day! Food and drink run by the SU are cheap which is good at the student life talk we were told that all the money made from SU goes straight back into SU.

Do try and go along to an open day, you'll only know what you think of it if you take a look for yourself!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year at BU and I highly recommend it! Experience has been fantastic so far.

BU offer a range of accommodation - take a look here: https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/discover/accommodation

I stay in Dorchester House which is £130 a week for a standard room. There is a range of 5-7 people in your flat depending on the flat size. I share with 4 other people and we have quite a large kitchen area. The rooms are quite big, you actually have space to move compared to Cranbourne or Purbeck (The rooms are quite small). Everything is still pretty much new and modern but it does get dusty very quickly (in your room). It's not the loudest or the quietest accommodation so it's perfect if you want to go out partying or want to sleep. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to town, Asda and the train station are just across the road. The bus stop is just outside and you're the first stop that the bus stops at so pretty much are always guaranteed a seat. Campus is modern and always clean. There is a new building being built and will be open in September 2016. A lot of places to go and eat and sit whenever you've got a break. I tend to go to Starbucks and get my morning coffee just before a lecture. Dylan's bar is quite nice but can take a long time to get your food.

Everyone is really friendly at BU and the atmosphere is brilliant compared to other Universities that I visited last year. @RadioBlaBla - Yeah Portsmouth was terrible when I went, I was there for about 30 minutes and thought this is pretty awful; got up and left haha

Nightlife in Bournemouth is so good; Old Firestation (this is run by the student union) - Lollipop Friday is cheap and usually pretty fun if you're drunk! Cameo and Halo are the other two that I recommend but is more expensive in terms of tickets and drinks, although it's usually a better night out. But if you're not into drinking, BU offer over 100 societies that you can join so always something to do! I think the average employment rate at BU is now 93% and they have got some fantastic placement opportunities.

Negatives
    There are quite a few homeless people in Bournemouth that ask for change, never saw any last year but seen so many.
    The bus will leave at the time that is shown on the timetable. If you're literally 1 second late and you're by the doors, they will close them and drive off. (Quite annoying sometimes).
    The student enquiry section which is located in Poole House, queues are so long; I have had to wait about 1 hour and half before seeing someone but I went during a busy time period.

BU may not be a RG University but you won't be disappointed if you choose to study here. Just make sure you're comfortable about being away from your family (you will get homesick, everyone experiences this). If you have any other questions, ask away!

Good luck at your A-levels or BTEC!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest here - you're most likely not going to get a honest reply here as BU pays ambassadors to post positive stuff. Like above - obvious ambassador but not posting on an official representative account.

It's a clever way of marketing!

I wouldn't judge by open days either - it's basically a theatre show and you don't actually see the real life of a university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daenrys)
    I've been unable to make any of the Bournemouth open days, so just wondering what people have honestly thought about the uni?
    > Was the campus nice?
    > Any negatives?
    I'm studying English Lit so any feedback on that particular course would be fab too
    HI Daenrys,

My name is Gemma and I am a second year student at Bournemouth University. I study BA Television Production, so don’t know too much about English Lit but hopefully I can help with your others questions!

Just to let you know Bournemouth have another open day on Saturday 21st November but if you can’t make that one the campus is an open university meaning your be able to sign in as a guest and have a walk around the campus. Even if you don’t make it to the campus just a trip round the town and beach will be worth it!

Last year I lived in Dorchester which I would recommend! It’s extremely modern because it was only built a few years ago (it even had double beds) and most of the accommodation based in town has ensuites. Also I was opposite a massive ASDA which was so helpful when it came to shopping and also opposite the train station which was handy when travelling home.

All the Landsdown accommodation are within 5 minutes walk from each other, so it’s very social and it’s also walking distance to all the clubs which will save you money on taxi’s on a night out.

Although most accommodation is based in town there are other options such as the student village which is based on the Talbot campus.There is also Corfe house which is based in Poole and then Uni-Let which our houses based around Bournemouth.

I think the campus is nice, inside is all very modern and they have just finished building a new SUBU building which has beach huts inside where you can have group meetings! They have also nearly finished another academic building which is massive! That building opens in 2016 and will have a new catering facility.

If you have any other questions about BU or student life in general feel free to ask!
    Gemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daenrys)
    > Was the campus nice?
    > Any negatives?
    Hi Daenrys

My name is Amy and I am third year student at Bournemouth.

Accommodation:
    I lived in the student village in the first year. It was the cheapest rent and right on the talbot campus- so no real commute. It was being updated while I stayed there.

As an archaeologist I had to stay an extra 5 weeks for our excavation, and was moved into one of the newly done up houses on the student village. Now all of them are ok, but the new ones look really nice. They are on the level of the more expensive accommodation in town- the only difference is you don't get an en-suite.

Campus:
    The campus is relatively small (Talbot- I am based here so I can't really explain about Lansdown), and is all in one place. They are constructing a new building now which looks like it should be epic when done. The other new construction on campus is the Student Centre, and it is highly popular (seriously get there at 10 and then no chairs!).

Negatives:
    I guess the biggest down side is some of the buildings are old and some are like a maze (even as a third year I can get lost in them). But most people are really nice and the facilities are good.

All in all I would say it is a nice uni with a really good feel to it. Like Gemma said, the best thing you can do is come down on the 21st Nov and get a feel for it yourself

Hope that helps, if you had any more questions feel free to ask!

Amy

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I went and visited BU earlier this year at an open day and it was lovely, it's now my first choice. The accommodation I looked at (houses like Cranbourne and Dorchester, Lyme Regis etc) was great, especially as some were newly renovated. It's a really good location as most of the accommodation is near the shops/beaches/nightlife and your bus ticket to get to uni is included in your accommodation price so although they aren't right next to the uni it's fine.
    I can't offer much insight to studying at the uni as i haven't started yet however it honestly was the nicest uni I have visited.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.