Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Forensic Psychologist or Interior Designer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am five weeks into Year 12 A-Levels and surprisingly enjoying all my subjects. I have taken Biology, Psychology, English Literature and Law as I believed that they would provide be with a good foundation to take Forensic Psychology at Uni.

However, I am having doubts about taking Forensic Psychology at Uni as I think that I may become bored of the job later on in life. I'd always loved Interior Designing but the none of the subjects that I am taking are art based which will be very difficult in order to get in to Uni (I did take Photography GCSE and got an A* but I don't think Uni's look at that??).

I'm struggling at what I should do as the two jobs are very different.

Any advice on what may be the best to overcome this dilemma would be very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important to fully comprehend the path to becoming a forensic psychologist and the difficulties you will face. Whilst forensic psychology is a perfectly valid degree it doesn't train you to be anything and you will require significantly more education to become a forensic psychologist.

You will need to complete an MSc, have several years as an assistant psychologist/relevant work experience and then you will need to gain a place on a ferociously competitive doctoral course. Then after completing the doctorate (3-4 years) you can begin to apply for jobs as a forensic psychologist. You will most likely be in your early 30s before starting work as a forensic psychologist.

The path is long and many people who set out on that career path never make it for one reason or another. You have to be 100% motivated in order to achieve it. So if you think you could quickly become bored with the field then it most likely isn't worth pursuing.

The forensic setting is also not to everyone's taste and the thought and reality of the job can be quite different. It may be an environment you love, but you could also be put off the field within a few hours of working in it. Some work experience in the field would be extremely useful in deciding whether it is an area you'd like to work in.

ReputationRep:
    also, and I have no professional experience to back this up, I assume that you've been led to the forensic psychiatry job due to TV?

I bet you that it's nowhere near as exciting, and that the jobs that do come up are few and far between.
    Loads of people watched CSI then did courses in forensic science. There are few labs and people stay in post.
    One guy I know is selling cars for a living after looking for a science job for 3 years

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.