Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Developing a Python Exam Program - GCSE Computer Science Coursework watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I need some help coming up with ideas on how I can start this program.
    My current GCSE Computer Science teacher thinks I am excelling at the subject and I am way past my year group. She wishes to enter me and allow me to do my GCSE for Computer Science in Yr 10 other than In Year 11. However she needs evidence of my skill, so she has given me a task from a Year 11 Coursework paper where we need to create a program that has a 2 lists of words that are the opposites of each other, and asks 10 questions based on the pair of opposite words that are randomly chosen by the program. The program must also count the score on each question, whether the user has entered the correct match. I know how to create this program, but its very long, and my teacher suggests using functions to create it. But I am unsure of how. Any Ideas?

Ohhh I had to do Python in BTEC year 10. Don't have a clueeee how to use the language/program anymore :-/. Maybe use Co-Academy well that's what my friends use anyway for GCSE Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I know about Code Academy but have never used it. The school has told us and created accounts for us on Code Avengers, but that's too easy for me, and its not really going to help me with this assignment.

(Original post by iRealizediKing)
    Ahh, I know about Code Academy but have never used it. The school has told us and created accounts for us on Code Avengers, but that's too easy for me, and its not really going to help me with this assignment.
    Look I'll ask my friend, because he does Python. I'll ask him what he uses, because it seems like he's very good at it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Just throwing some ideas out there, but could you look at using the random function (which you import into your editor) and somehow compile a suitable if function statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Just throwing some ideas out there, but could you look at using the random function (which you import into your editor) and somehow compile a suitable if function statement?
    Good idea, ill try to give it a go and see if that works. I already attempted to define a function that links the two lists of opposite words together and randomly selects a pair, but after defining it, every time the function is used in the program, I get a NameError: ('variable') isnt defined.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.