Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm applying for Physics at Oxford, and hopefully I'll get invited to interview.

I heard that as part of the interview process they look through your log books from school.

But I never kept one, ever, so I wont have anything to show. Will this be a problem? I'm tempted to start writing one now and fill in a few faked experiments etc, but I'd rather not lie on my application.

Basically, will they be understanding that my school never made us use log books? Or will it harm my application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IIEquinoxII)
    So I'm applying for Physics at Oxford, and hopefully I'll get invited to interview.

I heard that as part of the interview process they look through your log books from school.

But I never kept one, ever, so I wont have anything to show. Will this be a problem? I'm tempted to start writing one now and fill in a few faked experiments etc, but I'd rather not lie on my application.

Basically, will they be understanding that my school never made us use log books? Or will it harm my application?
    In my opinion it would be better if you just told them the truth, I don't think that it would really decrease your chances of getting accepted.

I have also applied to Oxford (Biochem), so best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    In my opinion it would be better if you just told them the truth, I don't think that it would really decrease your chances of getting accepted.

I have also applied to Oxford (Biochem), so best of luck!
    Ah right, I suppose they could just ask to see my coursework or something like that anyway

And what college are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, I suppose they could just ask to see my coursework or something like that anyway

And what college are you applying to?
    Of course, after all the logbook is not an official requirement.
    I have made an open application (I'm an international student and I had no idea about colleges), so this week I'll be notified by email of my designated college.

ReputationRep:

I'm also applying for Physics at Oxford (Merton wby). I have never heard about the need for a log book, and I don't have one. I assume it's a niche thing; people can provide one if they have one, but it certainly isn't a requirement. I might be wrong – if I learn anything about it I'll let you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I'm also applying for Physics at Oxford (Merton wby). I have never heard about the need for a log book, and I don't have one. I assume it's a niche thing; people can provide one if they have one, but it certainly isn't a requirement. I might be wrong – if I learn anything about it I'll let you know.
    Maybe it's an older thing, I think they just used to want some way of seeing how you work.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's an older thing, I think they just used to want some way of seeing how you work.
    Maybe it was replaced with the PAT? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I had interviews at New College (<3) and Wadham and they never asked me for a log book. Legitimately don't think they care.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.