Turn on thread page Beta

I want to pursue a career in law, but not sure which A-levels to pick, HELP! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i'm a year eleven student in the middle of applying for college. I've got an idea of what i want to pick but i'm afraid that they may be too intense for me. The subjects i have in mind are: English Lit, History, Maths & Computing. A friend recently told me that picking law at AS then dropping it at A2 would be a good idea, as then i would have a taste of the subject and could ultimately decide whether i want to pursue that career or not. The reasons i'm thinking about maths and computing are because i want a back up plan. If it doesn't go to well for me in English Lit and History then i could always fall back and pursue a career/degree in maths or computer science, which i am also fond of. Sorry if i posted this on the wrong forum.

ReputationRep:
    They are all good/core subjects and sounds like a good mix given your thinking and back up plans.

Studying AS level law is nothing like the career but will give you a hint of what the degree is like (although some feel it is very different/not helpful if you do choose to go on and study law).

The main thing to get into the career in law is doing well in your a levels - this will you onto a good degree course, which in turn will lead to greater opportunities to help enter into the career. So choose subjects you 1) enjoy and 2) think you are good at

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatarethose)
    Hi guys, i'm a year eleven student in the middle of applying for college. I've got an idea of what i want to pick but i'm afraid that they may be too intense for me. The subjects i have in mind are: English Lit, History, Maths & Computing. A friend recently told me that picking law at AS then dropping it at A2 would be a good idea, as then i would have a taste of the subject and could ultimately decide whether i want to pursue that career or not. The reasons i'm thinking about maths and computing are because i want a back up plan. If it doesn't go to well for me in English Lit and History then i could always fall back and pursue a career/degree in maths or computer science, which i am also fond of. Sorry if i posted this on the wrong forum.
    Those A-levels are alright for law, but they won't be for maths or (I would imagine) computer science, particularly if you don't get good grades in some of them.

ReputationRep:

Those subjects are fine for law as song long as you have good grades, law schools aren't that picky with what subjects you take.

However it is useful to take subjects that are similar in nature to law (i.e. are essay based and are reading intensive) as this will prepare you for the endless hours of reading at law school lol.

Law school is tough (trust me) so you really have to be sure that it is a law degree that you want. Studying law doesn't mean that you HAVE to be a lawyer once you graduate as careers in business, marketing, banking and politics are popular routes for law graduates to take.

You still have plenty of time to choose what you want to study at Uni so don't feel pressured to make a quick decision now which you might regret further down the line.

I had a passion for science but decided to choose all humanities subjects as i decided to pursue a legal career (I took English, History, Latin, Spanish and Modern Studies). Now I am in my 2nd year of law school and thinking about pursuing a 2nd degree in science once I graduate.

Hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    However it is useful to take subjects that are similar in nature to law (i.e. are essay based and are reading intensive) as this will prepare you for the endless hours of reading at law school lol.
    Whilst this is true, there is no need to take four essay based subjects at A-Level, and indeed doing so could well prove to be far too intense. English Literature and History would easily tick that box, and Maths and Computing are decent additional subjects. It's a good set of choices in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst law doesn't have any required subjects, English Lit would be great! One of the key parts of Lit is creating a strong, clear argument, which is a given for law anyway :cute: Lit will definitely give you the skills that you need. It's really impressive as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Jamie)
    Whilst this is true, there is no need to take four essay based subjects at A-Level, and indeed doing so could well prove to be far too intense. English Literature and History would easily tick that box, and Maths and Computing are decent additional subjects. It's a good set of choices in my view.
    No I completely agree

I think the threadstarter has the perfect balance of subjects they enjoy and essay based subjects.

Any law school would happily accept those subject (so long as they got good grades).

I was just meaning that the threadstarter was right to have at least 2 essay based subjects as that will prepare them more for law school than maths or computing (although there is a bit of maths involved in property & succession law).

I am from Scotland so the subjects I referenced early were my Scottish Higher subjects, so lightly different. But you are right my 5th was really tough as I had so many essays due in each week !

ReputationRep:
    I want to pursue a career in law also, and am I currently taking English Lit, History, French and Psychology at AS, and I would say that English Lit and History aren't too intense at all. Yes, the workload can be quite heavy at times, but not so intense that it is unbearable. But I do think that you have a good balance of subjects

Don't do AS or A2 Law though, the universities don't need you to do it and will start you and everyone else who does Law at university from ground zero, so you won't have any advantage over those who haven't done it previously.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.