Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

curl of a cross product watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    struggling on how to show curl(U x V) in terms of directional derivative and divergence using suffix notation/Levi-Civita tensor.

tried to type what I got so far in to latex but it failed and dont have the effort to take a picture and upload but all ive done so far is essentially expand the curl and cross product in to its suffix notations.

something like
    epsilon(ijk)*delta(j) (espilon(ijk)*U(j)*V(k))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    struggling on how to show curl(U x V) in terms of directional derivative and divergence using suffix notation/Levi-Civita tensor.

tried to type what I got so far in to latex but it failed and dont have the effort to take a picture and upload but all ive done so far is essentially expand the curl and cross product in to its suffix notations.

something like
    epsilon(ijk)*delta(j) (espilon(ijk)*U(j)*V(k))
    The problem you've got yourself into is that you're using the same set of indices for the two different cross products. Try to attack this by breaking down the expression into simpler pieces.

(U \times V)_{i} = \epsilon_{ijk} U_{j} V_{k}

So you've got the ith component of the vector cross product using the first Levi-Civita symbol. Now we have

(\nabla \times W)_m = \epsilon_{mpq} \frac{\partial W_{p}}{\partial x_{q}}

Take W to be U \times V, substitute and use some well known identities,

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.