Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What should i do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm facing a tough dilemma right now.

I'm picking my a levels and my dad is putting a lot of pressure on me, i told him i want to do history, english, maths and economics and then maybe go in to law.
    He said that i CANNOT take history with english and maths with economics. He said that maths and english is fine and i have to also take biology and chemistry. Personally, i have no interest in the sciences so i haven't considered them.
    Biology and chemistry are hard in my opinion, what should i do? I don't want him picking my a levels for me :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    do what you want to do, it is you who will be doing it for two years. My parents were amazing at supporting me but they at first wanted me to do english lang over history. This was because they didn't know that the lang course is about grammar, speech and things, they thought it was creative writitng. I really wanted to do history and i chose history. I am really enjoying it and when i look at what the people doing lang are doing i know that it wouldn't have suited me. If you want to do history over the sciences do that

ReputationRep:
    If you have no interest in sciences, don't do it. That will be a total waste of A levels. What you want to do is a very good combination of subjects anyway, especially if you desire to go into law as History, English and Economics help to boost your essay writing skills, whereas Biology and Chemistry are totally congruent and in no way related to law.

ReputationRep:
    He has no right to tell you what you should or should not study, this is your right and you're old enough to decide for yourself.

If he can't deal with the fact that his child has a mind of their own, than that's just plain childish, and rather ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    do what you want to do, it is you who will be doing it for two years. My parents were amazing at supporting me but they at first wanted me to do english lang over history. This was because they didn't know that the lang course is about grammar, speech and things, they thought it was creative writitng. I really wanted to do history and i chose history. I am really enjoying it and when i look at what the people doing lang are doing i know that it wouldn't have suited me. If you want to do history over the sciences do that
    Glad your parents were supportive I'm not sure, i'm gonna have to think about it. I honestly don't want to take chemistry but biology seems alright. But then again, whats the point of taking one science?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by goldenusername)
    Glad your parents were supportive I'm not sure, i'm gonna have to think about it. I honestly don't want to take chemistry but biology seems alright. But then again, whats the point of taking one science?
    i do biology and so far it is ok, chemistry i believe is very dense and difficult (especially if you don't like it), if you want to do law then history would probably be a better option than biology as with history you have to do a lot of debating and arguing for and against.

ReputationRep:
    it was the same with me. dont listen to what your dad wants you to do. do what you think will benefit you in the future after all it is your life and not his.x

I'm picking my a levels and my dad is putting a lot of pressure on me, i told him i want to do history, english, maths and economics and then maybe go in to law.
    He said that i CANNOT take history with english and maths with economics. He said that maths and english is fine and i have to also take biology and chemistry. Personally, i have no interest in the sciences so i haven't considered them.
    Biology and chemistry are hard in my opinion, what should i do? I don't want him picking my a levels for me :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candycaneland500)
    it was the same with me. dont listen to what your dad wants you to do. do what you think will benefit you in the future after all it is your life and not his.x
    How did he take it after you went your own way?

ReputationRep:
    How did he take it after you went your own way?
    he was really unhappy but i told him straight up that half my life i have been doing what they want me to do and now it was my turn. he saw that i was mature enough and is now letting me do what i want. i love my dad and mum to bits but i will not let them decide my future because that is really unfair. x

ReputationRep:

Let me guess: Asian parents?

Your options are fine. You just need to tell him that you've done the necessary research and that you'll take it from here.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.