Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If ur taking maths and further maths for a-level, would this qualification make you more desirable do you think to competitive sixth forms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatehannah)
    If ur taking maths and further maths for a-level, would this qualification make you more desirable do you think to competitive sixth forms
    Probably not - I didn't do FSMQ and am currently breezing through A level maths and further maths, it doesn't make a difference at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan97)
    Probably not - I didn't do FSMQ and am currently breezing through A level maths and further maths, it doesn't make a difference at all
    yes but for all the applicants applying, they must find something to differentiate students and judge how dedicated and successful they would be. This qualification shows dedication and commitment to sixth forms, since u get no teacher support from this.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't look better when applying but it makes AS maths- C1and C2 incredibly easy as you would have done it in additional maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatehannah)
    yes but for all the applicants applying, they must find something to differentiate students and judge how dedicated and successful they would be. This qualification shows dedication and commitment to sixth forms, since u get no teacher support from this.
    Youve answered your own question. If you think it helps, which you obviously do, then do it, it can hurt unless you fail in which case math and further math may not be best anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    Youve answered your own question. If you think it helps, which you obviously do, then do it, it can hurt unless you fail in which case math and further math may not be best anyway.
    I do, i just wanted other opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JassyC)
    It doesn't look better when applying but it makes AS maths- C1and C2 incredibly easy as you would have done it in additional maths.
    You'll learn the skills in your lessons for C1 and C2 anyway and be expected to practice them regardless so it makes no difference

(Original post by BekahMay)
    I know people who got U's in FSMQ but then have come out with A's in AS maths and further maths. It's a completely pointless qualification IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan97)
    You'll learn the skills in your lessons for C1 and C2 anyway and be expected to practice them regardless so it makes no difference

I know people who got U's in FSMQ but then have come out with A's in AS maths and further maths. It's a completely pointless qualification IMO
    Yeah good point, in which case its completely pointless whatever they get in it

I think though since theyre talking about a competitive sixth form then the U would still put them at a disadvantage even if it is no predictor for alevel if theyre up against lots of people with the same gcse's.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.