The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it okay to kill your rapist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Incidentally, for someone who isn't debating anything, you're posting an awful lot in this thread. I wonder exactly what you think you're achieving.
To laugh at men, of course!

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
:lol: you men are so funny.
Original post by StrawbAri
So recently in my country, a woman stabbed her rapist to death whilst he was raping her.
Apparently the rapist was a notorious pastor in the area that was well known for molesting the local women. His killer/victim allegedly came to him for spiritual guidance and he invited her to the local baptism pool for 'deliverance'. He then began to rape her and in her struggle to get free she picked up a sharp stick conveniently lying around and stabbed him to death.

The woman was arrested but released shortly after on bail. She is now considered a local hero.
The late 'pastor' left behind a wife and kids.

Do you think what she did was right? Would you do the same in her situation? Do you think it's right to kill anyone even if it's in self defense?

Edit: I am of the opinion that she did this in an act of self defense. I would probably do same in her position.
Just wanted to see other opinions

In self defence, that's fine. In vengeance? No. If I caught someone sexually assaulting someone else they would not leave uninjured.
So recently in my country, a woman stabbed her rapist to death whilst he was raping her.
Apparently the rapist was a notorious pastor in the area that was well known for molesting the local women. His killer/victim allegedly came to him for spiritual guidance and he invited her to the local baptism pool for 'deliverance'. He then began to rape her and in her struggle to get free she picked up a sharp stick conveniently lying around and stabbed him to death.

The woman was arrested but released shortly after on bail. She is now considered a local hero.

Do you think what she did was right? Would you do the same in her situation? Do you think it's right to kill anyone even if it's in self defense?

Edit: I am of the opinion that she did this in an act of self defense. I would probably do same in her position.

I'd also be on her side if she burned him alive.

Rape is an unforgivable crime.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Perhaps its because people have a personal hierarchy of "wrongs"; a threatening act should only be met with by an act from a corresponding or lower hierarchy. And perhaps since the threat to being killed is possibly on the highest tier of the hierarchy, it is often hard for the victim to accept that he should act as such, even though it would be morally acceptable to do so.

In a 3-person situation like that of the 12-year old Guatemalan boy who chose death over killing another (innocent) person, such an act would easier to explain. Whether or not this could translate into a 2-person is a different thing altogether.

Or maybe, if one leaves all the legal definitions and theories aside, it is that the victim does not want to be the same monster which his killer is.

I'm going to leave the top part because I disagree that all people's moral intuitions work on a hierarchical basis and I don't want to get into a big philosophical debate. I don't subscribe to your idea myself so I imagine other people also do not. You could equally say that everyone takes a utilitarian view and so killing a rapist/murderer would be the most moral thing to do - point being, morals are subjective.

I also don't consider that a victim who kills in self-defence is in any way similar to a murderer/rapist. The former is forced to act and with the aim of protecting themselves; the latter has an entirely different motive. I think anyone could see that the two are entirely distinguishable, although being a victim of such a crime may skew your mindset on it temporarily e.g. because of any guilt (although if it were me being attacked I wouldn't feel any guilt at all if I acted in self-defence - I just mean for those people who don't consider it justifiable to defend themselves if it results in the death of the attacker)
Yes absolutely. If someone tried to rape me or someone I cared for I would kill them there and then without hesitation.
If she needed to use so much force to stop his attack that she ended up killing him literally in an act of self defense, then that's fine. If however she got him off her, and in an act of rage went over to him and stabbed him several times, yes, that is wrong.
Original post by driftawaay
Nope.

It wouldn't be in any way morally permissible, but (if she were in the UK) she could argue loss of control in order to mitigate her charge from one of murder to voluntary manslaughter.
Wondering why this isn't in the debate forum
Id give her a medal

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would have done the same in order to defend myself.
Well the rapist was very infamous for regularly taking advantage of the female members of his church....

oh that's OK then.
If he's going around committing serial rape of course... He got what was coming to him.
Reply 112
Even if she did kill him out of rage and not self-defence, in my eyes, thats justice. We all have our own conceptions of right and wrong, I believe his punishment should be death.
Reply 113
Yep. I'd do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saeed97
She did the correct, and moral thing to do. Shame about his widowed wife and child though. Not nice being labelled the child and wife of a rapist.

In part, the wife 'set herself up' (and her child too) for that problem, by staying with him. Surely, she must have had some inkling of what he was up to. In my mind, someone like him is even more guilty than someone who rapes a passer-by at random. The minister is operating from a 'position of trust', and preying upon his 'flock' like a wolf with a flock of sheep. Police (or corrections) officers here, who rape people (some do it in uniform - believe it or not), are sentenced more harshly that ordinary citizens. Usually the state statute reads something like 'abuse of authority'. [This is ordinarily a state warrant, unless they were Federal officers when the offense occurred]. They can count on a more lengthy sentence. Personally, i feel that if you are committing a violent, illegal act - like armed robbery, rape, assault, attempted murder, etc - that you have no complaint if your victim (or someone else) takes measures to stop you, and you are killed or seriously injured in the process. After all, if you had behaved yourself, nothing would have happened to you. Cheers.

Murder is wrong. If it was in self defence and after say stabbing him once he was still raping her or a threat to her, then that’s fine. But if she went further and killed even after he had stopped becoming a threat, then that is murder. Although I must admit there is probably some grey area in between where it could have been manslaughter or she could have got so emotionally caught up in it, not saying that’s entirely okay though.

His children will eventually grow up to hopefully be e hap individuals who weren't mentally tortured by the knowledge of his evil acts. A man like that doesn't deserve to be a father, let alone a husband.

Do you think what she did was right?
YES

Would you do the same in her situation?
YES: if I killed him, like this women did,whilst he was raping me I haven't done anything wrong.
BUT: if I killed him afterwards, that's wrong because it's murder not self defence anymore. It's not me who should be deciding if he lives or dies at this point.

Do you think it's right to kill anyone even if it's in self defense?
YES: ONLY if it's in self defence.
Killing / not killing is a whole other issue.

Replied above in bold ^ :smile:
If she was stabbing him to incapacitate him from raping her then that's fine

If she was doing it to kill him then that's wrong [unless her life was in danger]

If you allow women the automatic right to just kill their rapists you may end up with an unintended bloodbath

eg: guy and girl decide to have sex, girl has too much alcohol in her so technically can't consent. half way through sex girl realises this and stabs guy to death, cries "rape" ... gets off scot free whilst the guy in now 6ft under.

hardly justified is it? but that's what you'll potentially get if you sanction killing for rape

Latest

Trending

Trending