How to get a head start on the AS Maths course whilst in Year 11

Watch
Asian Persuasion
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Currently, i'm in year 11 and most likely going to be taking maths and further maths A-Levels in 6th form. Simply, I was wondering what to do to get a head start in both subjects whilst i'm doing my GCSEs?
xboc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look at online resources and just get a feel for it.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Asian Persuasion)
Currently, i'm in year 11 and most likely going to be taking maths and further maths A-Levels in 6th form. Simply, I was wondering what to do to get a head start in both subjects whilst i'm doing my GCSEs?
Have you finished GCSE Maths? The best way is to do lots of challenging GCSE and beyond questions, rather than rushing it. If you really want a head start, then you may as well start self teaching yourself AS Maths.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
make sure you are good with GCSE Surds,fractions,factorising,all types of algebra, completing the square,coordinate geometry
Asian Persuasion
Rep:
?
No i'm doing my GCSE Maths in June 2016. Yh i guess i'll start completing A* graded questions from each topic from my textbook
gomc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
try the edexcel igcse for challenging qus

just a warning though it may kill u - it did me

extra topics in igcse not covered in the gcse: functions i.e. f(x), g(x), inverse, composite.. etc, differentiation, vectors, (cant remember if there are any more)

topics not covered in igcse but are in the gcse: completing the square, trigonometrical function graphs
Asian Persuasion
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies everyone, i'm new on here so i'm quite overwhelmed by the amount of people replying!!!
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Buy some textbooks and crack on (in the summer, priorotise study for GCSEs first).
kkboyk
Report 5 years ago
No i'm doing my GCSE Maths in June 2016. Yh i guess i'll start completing A* graded questions from each topic from my textbook
You should definitely start by getting a very good grasp of the GCSE content, and a bit beyond.

I'd recommend getting an old GCSE Textbook, and even attempt the junior BMO papers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.65%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.47%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
15.88%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (46)
27.06%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (32)
18.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed