Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are my A-Level choices too narrow watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and have decided on picking the A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Are these choices too narrow considering I might take Maths, Economics, Physics or Engineering at Uni??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian Persuasion)
    Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and have decided on picking the A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Are these choices too narrow considering I might take Maths, Economics, Physics or Engineering at Uni??
    Not at all, I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, and Chemistry for AS and I think it has set me up perfectly for uni applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by genius10)
    Not at all, I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, and Chemistry for AS and I think it has set me up perfectly for uni applications.
    How did you cope with 5 AS', in terms of the amount of revision and organising time for each of your subjects as 5 AS's is quite alot to take, right??

ReputationRep:
    How did you cope with 5 AS', in terms of the amount of revision and organising time for each of your subjects as 5 AS's is quite alot to take, right??
    Yeah it was pretty difficult, it took up so much of my time, especially since I only had 1 free a week. Having said that it is possible to do since I got above 90% in all five subjects. However I would not recommend doing this, four is enough.

Also, what makes you want to study Economics? I don't want to turn you away from it but it a lot of essay writing, which I wasn't very good at. (Basically if you think it's a piss-take version of maths, what I thought, think again!)

But yes organisation was crucial, I also play a lot of sport in the weekends, so it means that I had to get started with prep any spare minute I had! My exams also lasted from 11th May to 16th June, which was also a killer lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by genius10)
    Yeah it was pretty difficult, it took up so much of my time, especially since I only had 1 free a week. Having said that it is possible to do since I got above 90% in all five subjects. However I would not recommended end doing this, four is enough.

Also, what makes you want to study Economics? I don't want to turn you away from it but it a lot of essay writing, which I wasn't very good at. (Basically if you think it's a piss-take version of maths, what I thought, think again!)

But yes organisation was crucial, I also play a lot of sport in the weekends, so it means that I had to get started with prep any spare minute I had! My exams also lasted from 11th May to 16th June, which was also a killer lol.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm taking Economics because it seems pretty interesting from my research and it sort of relates to Business Studies which I'm taking. However, i'm dreading all the essay writing but I'll hopefully get over it

ReputationRep:
    Not at all considering your choice of degrees at uni Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebeckett)
    Not at all considering your choice of degrees at uni Good luck!
    Thanks, all the best to whichever subject you choose for Uni!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do physics/ engineering at university:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    AS Chemistry

If you want to do maths at university

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    AS Economics/ Chemistry

If you want to do economics at university

Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics/ History/ a language

(all to A2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    If you want to do physics/ engineering at university:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    AS Chemistry

If you want to do maths at university

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    AS Economics/ Chemistry

If you want to do economics at university

Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics/ History/ a language

(all to A2)
    Thanks for this!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.