Can someone please explain to me the enzyme-substrate complex?

Watch
hoafanuk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
^

Thank you!
Kozmo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The enzyme-substrate complex is simply the substrate molecule and the enzyme molecule binded to one another. The mechanism which allows this to occur effectively is the induced fit model of enzyme action.

A change in the enzyme's environment (the substrate colliding into it) results in a change in the enzymes shape and so the enzyme active site changes shape too, and therefore 'grasps' the substrate (binds to it).

The enzyme-substrate complex is formed via random collisions between the enzymes and substrate molecules. A certain amount of energy is needed to allow these to effectively bind and form the enzyme-substrate complex. Similarly, they must collide with the correct orientation (facing one another the correct way). The active site is specific to one substrate and so can only bind effectively and work upon a particular substrate.
ineedtolearnpls
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
enzyme–substrate complex The intermediate formed when a substrate molecule interacts with the active site of an enzyme. Following the formation of an enzyme–substrate complex, the substrate molecule undergoes a chemical reaction and is converted into a new product
hoafanuk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks everyone!

x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.43%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (85)
27.96%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (116)
38.16%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.29%

Watched Threads