Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

a-levels!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about taking maths, biology and chemistry for a levels... how hard are they on a scale of 1-10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afgsed)
    I'm thinking about taking maths, biology and chemistry for a levels... how hard are they on a scale of 1-10
    Your question is too subjective. I'd say that maths quite easy. Most people say that chemistry is quite hard. It's important to base your A-level choices on how much you like the subjects, as opposed to how hard other people say they are.

ReputationRep:
    From my friends I've heard that Biology is hard, essay writing and stuff, maths I feel is very do able, so I'd say
    maths 6
    biology 8/9

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is hard if you have a passion for it. It's 100% Doable. I will not lie to you however about chemistry. Chemistry is probably the hardest A2 level out of ALL A levels but it usually depends on many factors such as how your mind works and what you prefer etc....

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the subjects at GCSE? A Levels are slightly more complicated than GCSEs, as the subjects are covered more in-depth than they were for GCSEs, but you will understand it eventually as it all comes together. Teachers (at least in my school) work on the basis that you remember practically nothing from your GCSEs so will cover the basics of the topic again when they teach it to you. There is a definite overlap in some areas of biology and chemistry, which helps when learning it, and maths is always useful. I cannot really rank the subjects on how hard they are on a scale of 1-10, but you should be able to successfully do all three.

What are you planning on studying at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Your question is too subjective. I'd say that maths quite easy. Most people say that chemistry is quite hard. It's important to base your A-level choices on how much you like the subjects, as opposed to how hard other people say they are.
    I enjoy all subjects just wanted to know how hard they are out of curiosity

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im currently taking bio, chem, maths/w/s...
    Out of 10, 10 being im pretty much f**ked!
    Im finding chem the hardest -___-. 9/10( jk its doable but very hard in my opinion)
    Bio quite easy 4/10
    Maths very easy 3/10

Honestly, its subjective.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing all those now (plus physics) in year 12.
    Honestly, people say there's a big jump between GCSE and A Level but I've yet to feel it. If you keep on top of all the work it's fine and kinda easy
    BUT - everyone is different and most people in my classes are finding it quite difficult. You won't know until you actually do it.

On a scale i'd probably say:
    Biology - 7/10 there's just so much new stuff to learn haha
    Chemistry - 5/10 it's pretty similar to gcse for me but that's just due to the fact that I had good teachers last year that taught beyond the spec
    Maths - 3/10 again, I had a good teacher last year and I have a natural aptitude for it anyway. My old teacher used to say that maths isn't hard it's just hard work

(10 being hard and 1 being easy)

ReputationRep:
    I found chemistry quite easy, the first half is just higher tier GCSE. Difficulty does increase as you go through the year but it's easily manageable 4/10.

Maths required dedication and a lot of practice. Just because you got an A/A* it doesn't mean you'll easily get As at AS 7/10. I had a friend who got an A at GCSE but an E at AS.

Biology was the hardest especially if you're on AQA, the isas were terrible 9/10 (imo)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.