Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people believe in the presence of the devil but absence of God? watch

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make sense to me. Do people really believe the devil controls this world?

I have a friend who puts atheism on the same level as satanism. The fact that atheists have to go to amazing efforts to prove that God doesn't exist makes me question their motives.

If the devil is present in this world then it makes me want to believe in God even more.

(Original post by Fruli)
    It doesn't make sense to me. Do people really believe the devil controls this world?

I have a friend who puts atheism on the same level as satanism. The fact that atheists have to go to amazing efforts to prove that God doesn't exist, makes me question their motives.

If the devil is present in this world then it makes me want to believe in God even more.
    While I agree with the sentiment you're expressing here, I think you're about to find out quite a lot about the ol' Can Of Worms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    While I agree with the sentiment you're expressing here, I think you're about to find out quite a lot about the ol' Can Of Worms.
    Haha, I am curious...

ReputationRep:
    Probably because the media highlights all the nasty things that happen in the world that are associated with the term "evil", whereas they barely ever show god like miracles happening. And also there are tons of scary movies out there that come out like every other month (not literally but you know what I mean) which help create and accentuate the idea of a "devil" existing. Whereas there's barely ever movies etc that come out about the existence of God. It's mostly got to do with the media tbh. Well that's what I think.

ReputationRep:
    Atheists don't try to prove that God doesn't exist. That would be a fruitless endeavour; you cannot prove a negative.

Satanism isn't worship of a literal devil but the worship of the idea of Satan and all that he stands for. i.e. an opposition to authority,hedonism etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)

I have a friend who puts atheism on the same level as satanism. The fact that atheists have to go to amazing efforts to prove that God doesn't exist makes me question their motives.

Probably because evil is much more commonly experienced and heard about than the good things people do. If you've been a victim of any crime from another person it is easy to believe that the devil is more prevalent and has more power over earth than God and because evil is so rampant and God seems not to care they conclude God must not exist or he is not as good as he's hyped up to be

ReputationRep:
    Because they're weird/dumb af

ReputationRep:
    I find the idea of Satan to be irrational. As there is always a reason behind why someone would intentionally do something bad, the idea of "evil for the sake of evil" isn't credible. I think Satan is simply a means for people to personify and place blame for their own terrible actions, and provide a reason why terrible things happen to good people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)

Like what?

Surely you'd have to go to a far greater effort to prove God does exist? :/

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of anyone who believes in Satan, but not in God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)

Do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Like what?

Surely you'd have to go to a far greater effort to prove God does exist? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    Atheists don't try to prove that God doesn't exist. That would be a fruitless endeavour; you cannot prove a negative.
    Why isn't Earth flat then?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Because I share a house with a devil, never met a god

(Original post by Arkasia)
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Atheists don't believe in Satan. Only Christians do. What are you talking about?

If god does exist, god may just be evil. And The Bible does support that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Why isn't Earth flat then?
    I meant you cannot a prove a negative in the sense of that negative being the (non-)existence of something.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.