Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

low carb diet, high fat diet? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

okay so i am starting the Atkins diet starting from tomorrow so basically 20 gram of carbs for two weeks. in this diet i get to eat chicken, cheese, nuts etc but my question is can i go to fish and chip shop and Oder a steak burger but instead of eating the bread i would eat the chicken. do these chicken have hidden carbs in them?
    my other question is what kind of exercises can i preform at home that would target body fat?
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noey123)
    hey guys

okay so i am starting the Atkins diet starting from tomorrow so basically 20 gram of carbs for two weeks. in this diet i get to eat chicken, cheese, nuts etc but my question is can i go to fish and chip shop and Oder a steak burger but instead of eating the bread i would eat the chicken. do these chicken have hidden carbs in them?
    my other question is what kind of exercises can i preform at home that would target body fat?
    thanks in advance
    Why are you going on this diet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Why are you going on this diet?
    i feel i need to lose 9 kg and this is the fastest way. why is it bad?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

thanks in advance
    You cannot target fat loss in specific areas if that is what you mean. Only way to lose body fat is to eat less calories than you burn.

So say you need 1800 calories a day, if you eat less than that you will lose weight.

If you're tying to lose weight, don't get fast food. You don't know what is in the food, you're cutting corners and being lazy.

Also of these hight fat -low protein, low fat-high protein not carb yada yada. It's just fad nonsense aimed at lazy and uninformed people who don't understand how weight loss works. But it definitely increases magazine sales and makes a heck of a lot of money.

If you want to lose weight, find out your TDEE. Eat 500 calories less a day to lose 1lb per week or 1000 less to lose 2lbs a week approximately. Or whatever number in-between you choose.

ReputationRep:
    i feel i need to lose 9 kg and this is the fastest way. why is it bad?
    This is not the fastest way. I don't particularly know much about the Atkins diet, because I don't follow fads.

You're describing a ketogenic diet. Do not go on a ketogenic diet. You do not need to.

You need to eat a healthy, balanced diet. Enough carbs, protein and fat. 20g of carbs is not enough. Why would an Atkins diet work? What do you think happens to fat/protein when it is broken down by the body, as opposed to carbs?

Use a weight loss calculator

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

thanks in advance
    Wouldn't advise it - you don't know what the quality of the meat is like and whether it's got filler in it e.g. breadcrumbs which would muck up your macros for Atkins.

Best exercise to target body fat is high intensity interval training - have a look at The Body Coach on facebook, instagram and youtube.

This is not the fastest way. I don't particularly know much about the Atkins diet, because I don't follow fads.
    If you don't know much about Atkins, how do you know it's not the fastest way? Atkins/keto diets actually show very rapid weight loss on the scales because you drop water weight very quickly. Plenty of people follow ketogenic diets successfully, my friend has lost over 5 stone and she loves the keto lifestyle. I personally can't do it but everyone is different and what works for some people may not work for you, that doesn't make it any less valid a choice. It's not your way or no way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Wouldn't advise it - you don't know what the quality of the meat is like and whether it's got filler in it e.g. breadcrumbs which would muck up your macros for Atkins.

Best exercise to target body fat is high intensity interval training - have a look at The Body Coach on facebook, instagram and youtube.

If you don't know much about Atkins, how do you know it's not the fastest way? Atkins/keto diets actually show very rapid weight loss on the scales because you drop water weight very quickly. Plenty of people follow ketogenic diets successfully, my friend has lost over 5 stone and she loves the keto lifestyle. I personally can't do it but everyone is different and what works for some people may not work for you, that doesn't make it any less valid a choice. It's not your way or no way.
    Every body initially loses water weight they start to diet.

There is no such thing as 'the fastest way'. There are things that work, and some things work better than others.

The only thing that works successfully AND IN THE LONG TERM is a healthy calorie deficit. I don't care what your macronutrient profile is. Plenty of people successfully lose weight with liquid diets. Or eating grapefruit diets, or all sorts of BS. Plenty of people lose weight by drinking 'boo tea'. Take up smoking and you'll probably lose weight. Anecdotal statements like that mean nothing to me.

I'm not going to come on here and give advice on the 'quickest' or 'easiest' way to do something.

I am in absolutely no position to recommend a ketogenic diet. They were used for children with epilepsy. It is a very drastic change in lifestyle/eating habits that should not be taken lightly, imo.

When it comes to weight loss, it's pretty much BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN. Do it through exercise if you can't help yourself to that slice of cake. What annoys me is when people take drastic measures to lose a large amount of weight, and to me, ketogenic is drastic, unless you really know what you are doing.

EDIT: oh, and your statement about the 'Best exercise to target body fat is high intensity interval training' is wrong/misinformed. Please have a look at SophieSmall's post. She hits the nail on the head.

ReputationRep:
    Every body initially loses water weight they start to diet.

There is no such thing as 'the fastest way'. There are things that work, and some things work better than others.

The only thing that works successfully AND IN THE LONG TERM is a healthy calorie deficit. I don't care what your macronutrient profile is. Plenty of people successfully lose weight with liquid diets. Or eating grapefruit diets, or all sorts of BS. Plenty of people lose weight by drinking 'boo tea'. Take up smoking and you'll probably lose weight. Anecdotal statements like that mean nothing to me.

I'm not going to come on here and give advice on the 'quickest' or 'easiest' way to do something.

I am in absolutely no position to recommend a ketogenic diet. They were used for children with epilepsy. It is a very drastic change in lifestyle/eating habits that should not be taken lightly, imo.

When it comes to weight loss, it's pretty much BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN. Do it through exercise if you can't help yourself to that slice of cake. What annoys me is when people take drastic measures to lose a large amount of weight, and to me, ketogenic is drastic, unless you really know what you are doing.
    Ok - but again - this whole post is just YOU wouldn't do it. I wouldn't do it either. But some people do, and people have excellent results doing keto. There is nothing wrong with keto compared to the other things you mentioned:

Plenty of people successfully lose weight with liquid diets - not sustainable in the long term. People do and have done keto for years at a time. Some people just eat less carbs anyway to stay slim.
    Or eating grapefruit diets, or all sorts of BS - obviously not a good idea to only eat one food, no variety = not enough nutrients, no protein here, etc. Keto encourages you to eat a lot of leafy greens, protein, good fats, etc.
    Plenty of people lose weight by drinking 'boo tea' - not even remotely comparable. Boo Tea only works because it's a herbal laxative. Keto doesn't require that you **** your guts out for 2 weeks to lose weight.
    Take up smoking and you'll probably lose weight - again, obviously harmful in ways that keto is not.

I probably don't even need to point this out but OP didn't ask that you recommend keto or that you advise other ways to lose weight. Two questions were asked, neither of which you answered. You think keto is drastic - why? Why is it drastic to focus solely on eating whole foods - lean meat, vegetables? I'm currently quitting sugar which people consider extreme - no it isn't. It's cutting out manmade crap that your body finds addictive and doesn't need. Compared to people who eat big plates of pasta, cake, chocolate etc keto is far healthier. You are still getting carbs because fruit and veg contain carbs, what you're not eating is crappy pasta and bread. If it's done well, there's nothing wrong with it. If people can do it and it works for them who are you to tell them otherwise really? Maybe it will work really well for OP.

ReputationRep:
    isn't it the opposite? high carb, low fat? idk i watch a lot of youtube vids on this stuff and that's what all them piff people be doin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Also of these hight fat -low protein, low fat-high protein not carb yada yada. It's just fad nonsense aimed at lazy and uninformed people who don't understand how weight loss works. But it definitely increases magazine sales and makes a heck of a lot of money.
    Worked for me. Lost almost 2 stone in a few weeks of low-carb diet with 0 exercise, and it's stayed off.

Normally Im very sceptical of fad diets but it did genuinely work for me..

ReputationRep:
    i became vegan for a month and lost 9kg, u can lose it quicker if u excersise more than i did, but cardio is good for fat and i did this one hour in the morning and i also did the sit up challenge, also drink green tea after every meal

ReputationRep:
    Low carb is not a viable weight plan for the long term. Your best bet is to get rid of "unhealthy " food like cakes (&fish and chips!) and exercise more, walk everywhere and run/cycle more often. Provided you keep to a reasonable diet (not a fad, not excessive) it's much easier to lose weight by exercising and will make you look healthier as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Worked for me. Lost almost 2 stone in a few weeks of low-carb diet with 0 exercise, and it's stayed off.

Normally Im very sceptical of fad diets but it did genuinely work for me..
    That's a heck of a lot of weight to lose in a few weeks. Which generally isn't healthy either. But high protein diets in general are not good for the body, especially if long term. It also tends to promote yoyo dieting. Where someone has done a crash diet, learnt nothing from the experience and so then just gains it back in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Ok - but again - this whole post is just YOU wouldn't do it. I wouldn't do it either. But some people do, and people have excellent results doing keto. There is nothing wrong with keto compared to the other things you mentioned:

Plenty of people successfully lose weight with liquid diets - not sustainable in the long term. People do and have done keto for years at a time. Some people just eat less carbs anyway to stay slim.
    Or eating grapefruit diets, or all sorts of BS - obviously not a good idea to only eat one food, no variety = not enough nutrients, no protein here, etc. Keto encourages you to eat a lot of leafy greens, protein, good fats, etc.
    Plenty of people lose weight by drinking 'boo tea' - not even remotely comparable. Boo Tea only works because it's a herbal laxative. Keto doesn't require that you **** your guts out for 2 weeks to lose weight.
    Take up smoking and you'll probably lose weight - again, obviously harmful in ways that keto is not.

I probably don't even need to point this out but OP didn't ask that you recommend keto or that you advise other ways to lose weight. Two questions were asked, neither of which you answered. You think keto is drastic - why? Why is it drastic to focus solely on eating whole foods - lean meat, vegetables? I'm currently quitting sugar which people consider extreme - no it isn't. It's cutting out manmade crap that your body finds addictive and doesn't need. Compared to people who eat big plates of pasta, cake, chocolate etc keto is far healthier. You are still getting carbs because fruit and veg contain carbs, what you're not eating is crappy pasta and bread. If it's done well, there's nothing wrong with it. If people can do it and it works for them who are you to tell them otherwise really? Maybe it will work really well for OP.

You are starting to demonstrate your ignorance.

You are emphasizing the point that 'plenty of people have had success with keto diets'. My point is that people all do crazy things like severely restrict their intake of certain food groups AND IT WORKS. That was my point. People can do absolutely anything AND IT WILL WORK.

Does that mean it is healthy? Or advisable? Just because 'lots' of people have 'success' with it?

I will let you do your own research as to why I think keto is drastic. I'm not the sort of person to read a few articles online from some Paleo blog or a even a few pub med articles taken entirely out of context and then go around spouting it on forums. Keto diets have their place, but do your own research. Googling online articles from any 'health' website; if you think that suffices, then fitness and nutrition are obviously not sciences to you.

You are cutting out sugar? Good. That's probably a good idea. Nothing extreme about that.

The ONLY reason, and I mean the ONLY reason why any diet in the history of man kind works, is because of thermodynamics. Calories in vs Calories out. That's it.

I could eat Mcdonalds for the rest of my life with coke for breakfast and still lose weight if I obey the rules set by calories in vs calories out. Would I be healthy? Probably not. Would I lose weight? Absolutely.

Weight loss has practically nothing to do with the quality or ratios of macros you eat, it is about total calories.

Let me stress this again for you one more time.

WEIGHT LOSS (in this context) OCCURS BECAUSE CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT.

Nothing else.

It's as simple as that. Eat what the hell you want. Paleo, gluten free, high fat, high protein, low carb, high carb. Whatever. I don't care.

Infact, let's take the opposite extreme.

You could just eat vegetables, healthy low glycemic-load fruits, no "man made crap" as you put it, and STILL GAIN WEIGHT.

Why would that happen?

BECAUSE CALORIES IN > CALORIES OUT.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I can't be bothered to read your massive long rant - the OP asked two questions, you answered neither. Clearly you're very agitated that not everyone does things how you want them to. OP wanted to lose weight - people lose weight on keto. Whether YOU thing it's a worthwhile thing to do or not doesn't answer what she asked.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to read your massive long rant - the OP asked two questions, you answered neither. Clearly you're very agitated that not everyone does things how you want them to. OP wanted to lose weight - people lose weight on keto. Whether YOU thing it's a worthwhile thing to do or not doesn't answer what she asked.
    I do not need to, SophieSmall has already answered the question very well in an earlier post of hers. It's not just about addressing the question asked. It's about educating people. People come on here a lot and ask questions from a position of ignorance, albeit through no fault of their own, that could be potentially dangerous. People need to be challenged. That's what debate is all about.

Why would I mind if somebody follows my advice or not? Let's not make this personal.

There is an awful lot of things in the fitness world that agitate me, you are right though. Fat loss is one of them, because I genuinely care. It does piss me off when people do stupid things. I'm happy to sit all here day debating it, as it's a passion of mine, but you couldn't be bothered to read my 'rant'. Fair enough. I won't lose sleep over it.

ReputationRep:
    calorie deficit is all you need brother, atkins/keto offers no fat loss advantage over a carb based diet with the same caloric deficit, you will initially lose some water weight but that'll come right back on when you start eating carbs again. It's all on the cals in-out, just lol @ the fitness/weight loss industry, bunch of scummy opportunists who love their snake oil.

go to iifym.com and enter your stats to get a starting point for your cals then adjust as needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You cannot target fat loss in specific areas if that is what you mean. Only way to lose body fat is to eat less calories than you burn.

So say you need 1800 calories a day, if you eat less than that you will lose weight.

If you're tying to lose weight, don't get fast food. You don't know what is in the food, you're cutting corners and being lazy.

If you want to lose weight, find out your TDEE. Eat 500 calories less a day to lose 1lb per week or 1000 less to lose 2lbs a week approximately. Or whatever number in-between you choose.
    I know it's very cool to hate on any diet that's not the traditional 'eat less than you burn' diet but there is a good scientific reason why a low carb diet works and it is something to do with how insulin affects your body and cravings. It does work, and although it isn't sustainable in the long term for most people (although some have been known to continue it indefinitely), it does bring about weight loss.

To OP: 20 grams is way too low and at that stage you won't even be able to get in any fruit or decent veg in your diet which isn't good. I'd say don't exceed 2 weeks and there is a chance of putting weight back on. A safe starting carb level would be 60-80 grams, that way you can carry on for a few months (or longer if you wish) and you still get the benefit of weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    Only way to lose weight is to eat much less and exercise whenever you get the chance. It's all in the mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    I know it's very cool to hate on any diet that's not the traditional 'eat less than you burn' diet but there is a good scientific reason why a low carb diet works and it is something to do with how insulin affects your body and cravings. It does work, and although it isn't sustainable in the long term for most people (although some have been known to continue it indefinitely), it does bring about weight loss.

To OP: 20 grams is way too low and at that stage you won't even be able to get in any fruit or decent veg in your diet which isn't good. I'd say don't exceed 2 weeks and there is a chance of putting weight back on. A safe starting carb level would be 60-80 grams, that way you can carry on for a few months (or longer if you wish) and you still get the benefit of weight loss.
    Unfortunately it's not traditional. This technique is 100% success guaranteed and magazines just won't sell if they hammer home this method.

Please do show me this reason. A lot of studies on insulin (for example glycemic index/loading studies) are conducted on either elite athletes, or morbidly obese participants on an empty stomach. Insulin response varies depending on so many factors.

If you want to avoid cravings, eat lots of fiber.

People, you all have to understand, the only way a diet works is because calories in < calories out.

There is no other reasoning for a diet to work. Whether you stick to it is a different matter, but I'm talking from a biological standpoint. This is the fundamental rule to weightloss. If this law is not obeyed, you will never, ever lose weight naturally.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.