Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HOW do i believe in myself? watch

Announcements

Every time I have the potential of achieving something I always build myself up to it in a negative way. So many people tell me I need to believe in myself and focus on the positive aspects but nobody ever tells me how. I'm so used to overthinking the negatives and being afraid of what might happen or what others will think if it does go wrong. For example at the moment, I am just about to send off my uni applications and I am so afraid that I won't make it to interview or if I do i'll mess up and won't get a place. In addition to this, my driving test is in just over a week and my mind is literally telling me to expect failure. All I can think about is how upset i'll be if I fail or don't get in even though i'll still have another opportunity at some point. When I think about passing, I know i'll be incredibly happy... but being that happy just seems as if it'll be too good to be true and so it won't happen.
    This issue is really bugging me and I'm scared that it's beginning to show. I don't want people thinking I have a negative outlook (which I do...). I do have anxiety and at times like this I start to get panic attacks, depressing thoughts and sleepless nights. I feel like the people around me look at me like I'm a failure. I don't know if this is true but I hate feeling like it because I just feel more anxious and self-conscious. I'll be so much happier and calmer when I feel better about myself- can anyone give me some advice? If there's a way of me believing in myself will I have better outcomes? Your advice is so much appreciated, thank-you!!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps see a GP who can refer you to a counsellor if you feel that you can't control your anxiety. They'll help you to break the negative thought patterns that you seem to be having. It's important to get some perspective and realise that what you do in life isn't the be-all-and-end-all, and if things do go wrong, 9 times out of 10 there are other opportunities to take advantage of. Don't feel self-conscious; no-one really cares about your mistakes, they are too busy worrying about their own! But I know how you feel - I've had counselling and it really helped me to have a more positive outlook on life and not worry so much all the time - that's just unhealthy and so bad for you.

Watch this - usually does the trick for me. Good luck with the applications!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3MxMfzWfbE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Every time I have the potential of achieving something I always build myself up to it in a negative way. So many people tell me I need to believe in myself and focus on the positive aspects but nobody ever tells me how. I'm so used to overthinking the negatives and being afraid of what might happen or what others will think if it does go wrong. For example at the moment, I am just about to send off my uni applications and I am so afraid that I won't make it to interview or if I do i'll mess up and won't get a place. In addition to this, my driving test is in just over a week and my mind is literally telling me to expect failure. All I can think about is how upset i'll be if I fail or don't get in even though i'll still have another opportunity at some point. When I think about passing, I know i'll be incredibly happy... but being that happy just seems as if it'll be too good to be true and so it won't happen.
    This issue is really bugging me and I'm scared that it's beginning to show. I don't want people thinking I have a negative outlook (which I do...). I do have anxiety and at times like this I start to get panic attacks, depressing thoughts and sleepless nights. I feel like the people around me look at me like I'm a failure. I don't know if this is true but I hate feeling like it because I just feel more anxious and self-conscious. I'll be so much happier and calmer when I feel better about myself- can anyone give me some advice? If there's a way of me believing in myself will I have better outcomes? Your advice is so much appreciated, thank-you!!
    to be honest i dont think theres much you can do. your conscious/unconscious mind has weighed up the potential of you succeeding, and has decided, based on past experiences, that there is a reasonable doubt. the only way to change this is to have new experiences that involve a success, and hence your self belief will grow.

maybe some of the stress could be relieved by creating an alternate back up plan, in case things dont work out.

ReputationRep:
    I think its helpful at this stage to perhaps try change the way you see situations. An option as mentioned could be through speaking to friends about it or a professional, who may help you see things in other ways. If you do this now it will be invaluable. Some of us perhaps due to our experiences think differently to others, that's just life, but we can help ourselves by realising that we don't want to feel the way we do.

ReputationRep:

well every time you think something bad. Try and spin it around to be positive. You need to do this with everything until it becomes a habit and then it becomes who you are.

For example "nooooooooooooooo. My ice cream is gone." 'oh well I'll be less fat now'

"damn I got rejected for uni." 'oh well I can try again next year and I'll have loads of fun on this gap year too'

etc.

Try and be like this

https://33.media.tumblr.com/6b948496...7ripo1_500.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    I love this! After school memories... the good days? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anomaly0)
    I love this! After school memories... the good days? Lol
    ye I always watched this haha

ReputationRep:
    Believe you can believe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are literally me

this is exactly who i was (and still am)

sometimes i lay in bed til 3 just worrying about this kinda stuff, planning the worst scenarios and how i will deal etc... and usually it doesn't happen how i expect it to anyway so i just end up wasting my time

what i found helps is surrounding yourself with positive people. People who give off that "everything will be okay, everything is fine" vibe. I have a few friends like that and it really helps

Also, if i am worried about a test, i give it EVERYTHING i've got so that even if i fail, even if i got a U it doesn't matter because i put that work in and i know i will do well.

this might be weird but i close my eyes when the negative thoughts come, and i think of what will happen when i get an A in my exam. I basically visualise myself getting the envelope, opening it, covering my mouth, showing my friend, jumping up and down, calling my mum, thanking my teachers, going to uni, meeting the love of my life etc in detail

that way it will be a happy story and you'll fall asleep before it turns into a horror movie

idk those are some techniques you can try out

best of luck

ReputationRep:
    omg...this is soooo me!!! even the personal statement part is soo me lol

ReputationRep:
    Serious answer, get the book by Maxwell Maltz - Psycho-Cybernetics, it deals with these issues and helped me tremendously to overcome the exact same obstacles, there's no quick fix other than a bit of effort and being open to new ideas on your part. I'm a different person in terms of my thinking from a few years ago thanks to that book.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Do something that well make you feel better, block out them negative thoughts, I know thats hard but it's worth it. Send them uni applications, you don't know what the response would be if you don't try, you may even surprise yourself. Your driving test, you'll be fine. Anxiety sucks but take some deep breaths before you get in the car, say to yourself you can do it, I believe you can!
    If things like this carry on see your GP ( I know it's horrible seeing them, but they help). BUT NO MATTER WHAT DONT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF! You can achieve your potential, you may not feel it but it will show.

If you ever need someone to talk to, my PM's*are open. I hope I helped, I know it was more motivation talk than advise.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any advice for you, as I am struggling through the same thing myself

All I can say is I hope you find happiness and peace within yourself, surround yourself with happy people and try not to stress out too much, best of luck xo

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.