Turn on thread page Beta

A levels for medicine - Please Help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently choosing my alevels, I have applied to two colleges this evening and I am waiting for an interview.

It has always been a dream and ambition of mine to study medicine and I am planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and another subject (probably history or geography) along with the EPQ. If i was to get three As/A*s and a good grade in my EPQ, as well as gaining relevant work experience/voluntary work, will these a levels allow me to get into medicine?

Any advice/input is appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AimeesStudies)
    I'm currently choosing my alevels, I have applied to two colleges this evening and I am waiting for an interview.

It has always been a dream and ambition of mine to study medicine and I am planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and another subject (probably history or geography) along with the EPQ. If i was to get three As/A*s and a good grade in my EPQ, as well as gaining relevant work experience/voluntary work, will these a levels allow me to get into medicine?

You need to do four AS levels. Your current choices are fine, just add another one which ou think you'll enjoy and do well in.

ReputationRep:
    I've got some friends going for medicine. Chemistry and biology are usually required for all medicine courses. If you are still wondering about a third subject, I would recommend maths, but it is not a requirement so you can probably get away with history or geography (check at different universities for the exact entry requirements). It probably looks better to have a third science/maths subject, because it is a very competitive course to get into.
    You will also probably be asked to do the BMAT and/or the UKCAT.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AimeesStudies)

Are you choosing As subjects or A2? If you haven't done your As levels yet you will need to choose four As subjects. You definitely need Biology and Chemistry but the other two can be anything except critical thinking or general studies. Some universities may require three sciences so check the entry requirements on their websites. A typical offer for medicine in terms of grades would be AAA and at least a B in a fourth As subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioeng98)
    I've got some friends going for medicine. Chemistry and biology are usually required for all medicine courses. If you are still wondering about a third subject, I would recommend maths, but it is not a requirement so you can probably get away with history or geography (check at different universities for the exact entry requirements). It probably looks better to have a third science/maths subject, because it is a very competitive course to get into.
    You will also probably be asked to do the BMAT and/or the UKCAT.

Hope this helps.
    Nah it doesn't, but you get a B- for effort and realising it's not a requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Nah it doesn't, but you get a B- for effort and realising it's not a requirement.
    Pretentious. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedishRedhead)
    Pretentious. :rolleyes:
    Thank you for the feedback, Mr non-obvious dupe.

ReputationRep:
    d

ReputationRep:
    Ah well.
    B- for looking up the subject requirements for medicine before posting!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.