Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 10 and am stressing out about GCSE's already. In year 9 I finished with an 8A in English, 8B in maths and 8C in sciences. If i continue to work hard will I be achieving, by estimation, a*s at the end of year 11?

Also, any revision/ study tips would be really helpful and any A* GCSE students , could you tell me how you revised effectively and what you did in year 10 to help yourself?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think you will be able to achieve A*s by the end of year 11.

First of all: do not worry or stress out too much about it yet - I know, this is easier said than done. Don't let the teachers stress you out either. There are notices in my school for the Year 11s (I go to a secondary school with a sixth form attached) saying that their GCSE year is finally there and they should be working hard at all times (slight paraphrasing here) and if they do not understand anything they should ask, if not they won't do well in their GCSEs. Work hard, but do not think that if you don't work hard for a single day that automatically means that you are going to fail. It does not work that way. There is a lot of busy work in schools, so missing some of that will not disadvantage you too much.

Remember why you are doing it. These are you grades, and you are the one who has to put the work in. As you are aiming for A*s, I guess you know this already (I've heard some people saying that they are aiming for 'C's, and I'm still shocked by the fact that people aim for mediocrity in that way). From this, understand how you learn. If you don't learn by making mind maps, don't bother to make mind maps. It is possible to learn just from reading from books without taking notes, despite what teachers will tell you.

Revise as you go along through the course, not just towards the end. It helps to read ahead before lessons as that way you can ask teachers if you don't understand something, or you can use the lesson to widen your understanding because you've already covered some of the material yourself. Download the specification, which is online on the exam board websites, and check through it as you go along.

When you get close to exams, the best revision is to go through exam paper after exam paper. This way you will practice your exam skills and by checking through the mark schemes afterwards you will be able to see what the examiners want and how you can improve for next time.

If you find yourself getting behind, it is a two year course. It is possible to cover the entire specification in far less time. The moment you start stressing out too much, everything gets harder. Think about what you have to cover, then work on your understanding in that area.

Finally, don't let anybody tell you that you cannot achieve A*s. If they tell you it is difficult, don't listen to them. It might be challenging, but it will come together.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, just reply to this post and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioeng98)
    Yes, I think you will be able to achieve A*s by the end of year 11.

First of all: do not worry or stress out too much about it yet - I know, this is easier said then done. Don't let the teachers stress you out either. There are notices in my school for the Year 11s (I go to a secondary school with a sixth form attached) saying that their GCSE year is finally there and they should be working hard at all times (slight paraphrasing here) and if they do not understand anything they should ask, if not they won't do well in their GCSEs. Work hard, but do not think that if you don't work hard for a single day that automatically means that you are going to fail. It does not work that way. There is a lot of busy work in schools, so missing some of that will not disadvantage you too much.

Remember why you are doing it. These are you grades, and you are the one who has to put the work in. As you are aiming for A*s, I guess you know this already (I've heard some people saying that they are aiming for 'C's, and I'm still shocked by the fact that people aim for mediocrity in that way). From this, understand how you learn. If you don't learn by making mind maps, don't bother to make mind maps. It is possible to learn just from reading from books without taking notes, despite what teachers will tell you.

Revise as you go along through the course, not just towards the end. It helps to read ahead before lessons as that way you can ask teachers if you don't understand something, or you can use the lesson to widen your understanding because you've already covered some of the material yourself. Download the specification, which is online on the exam board websites, and check through it as you go along.

When you get close to exams, the best revision is to go through exam paper after exam paper. This way you will practice your exam skills and by checking through the mark schemes afterwards you will be able to see what the examiners want and how you can improve for next time.

If you find yourself getting behind, it is a two year course. It is possible to cover the entire specification in far less time. The moment you start stressing out too much, everything gets harder. Think about what you have to cover, then work on your understanding in that area.

Finally, don't let anybody tell you that you cannot achieve A*s. If they tell you it is difficult, don't listen to them. It might be challenging, but it will come together.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, just reply to this post and ask.
    Extremely useful, thanks

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.