Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why am I so hungry? watch

Announcements

I've had problems with eating in the past and tend to go through periods where I'll either eat nothing or eat quite a bit.

I am usually a very healthy eater. I tend to have a high level of self control and try to eliminate junk food/sweet foods from my diet

However, over the past couple of weeks I've been eating like a ****ing horse and I don't know why, but I just cannot control myself. I will treat myself to one biscuit and then before I know it, I'll have eaten an entire packet and begin to move on to the next one. Today I've eaten two slices of apple crumble, two ham pancakes, one pancake with bolognese on it, three slices of cake, and one pancake with Nutella on it (my mum left ready-made pancakes in the fridge and I just needed to heat them up). I feel so disgusted with myself . Once I started I just couldn't stop.

I've considered sticking my fingers down my throat after these massive eating sessions, but whenever I weigh myself I haven't actually put on any weight. I've had periods where I've refused to eat for long periods of time and have a history with laxatives (hence anon). I've never told anyone about any of this, but it is in the past and not an issue anymore really. I'm really really scared I'm going to get fat, but I don't know what's wrong with me - I just am so hungry lol.

I'm not sure why I've posted this. Maybe for support?

ReputationRep:
    Try seeing your GP if it carries on but modt of all definatly dont make yourself sick. That'll do you no good whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had problems with eating in the past and tend to go through periods where I'll either eat nothing or eat quite a bit.

I am usually a very healthy eater. I tend to have a high level of self control and try to eliminate junk food/sweet foods from my diet

However, over the past couple of weeks I've been eating like a ****ing horse and I don't know why, but I just cannot control myself. I will treat myself to one biscuit and then before I know it, I'll have eaten an entire packet and begin to move on to the next one. Today I've eaten two slices of apple crumble, two ham pancakes, one pancake with bolognese on it, three slices of cake, and one pancake with Nutella on it (my mum left ready-made pancakes in the fridge and I just needed to heat them up). I feel so disgusted with myself . Once I started I just couldn't stop.

I've considered sticking my fingers down my throat after these massive eating sessions, but whenever I weigh myself I haven't actually put on any weight. I've had periods where I've refused to eat for long periods of time and have a history with laxatives (hence anon). I've never told anyone about any of this, but it is in the past and not an issue anymore really. I'm really really scared I'm going to get fat, but I don't know what's wrong with me - I just am so hungry lol.

I'm not sure why I've posted this. Maybe for support?
    How old are you? Is it possible you're having a growth spurt?

Make sure you're drinking enough water - sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. Have a big glass of water and if you're still hungry 20 mins later, eat something. Make sure you're also eating food that will fill you up, all those things you mentioned are mostly full of empty calories. If you're talking crepe kinda pancakes I would need about 8 of those to feel full! Fruit, veg, wholegrains, protein, etc. Also you need to get enough sleep, if you're tired you will seem more hungry and want sugar (I am so guilty of this - in the past I've found myself stuck in cycles of not sleeping enough, so being very tired, which makes me hungry for sugar, and then you just keep needing more sugar to keep you awake all day)

Also if you struggle with biscuits just don't keep them in the house. I can't eat one biscuit and put the packet down. In fact I can't eat one of anything in a big packet and put the packet down, so I just don't keep big packets of anything in my house.

(Original post by infairverona)
    How old are you? Is it possible you're having a growth spurt?

Make sure you're drinking enough water - sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. Have a big glass of water and if you're still hungry 20 mins later, eat something. Make sure you're also eating food that will fill you up, all those things you mentioned are mostly full of empty calories. If you're talking crepe kinda pancakes I would need about 8 of those to feel full! Fruit, veg, wholegrains, protein, etc. Also you need to get enough sleep, if you're tired you will seem more hungry and want sugar (I am so guilty of this - in the past I've found myself stuck in cycles of not sleeping enough, so being very tired, which makes me hungry for sugar, and then you just keep needing more sugar to keep you awake all day)

Also if you struggle with biscuits just don't keep them in the house. I can't eat one biscuit and put the packet down. In fact I can't eat one of anything in a big packet and put the packet down, so I just don't keep big packets of anything in my house.
    I'm 19, so definitely not a growth spurt. I haven't grown at all since I was like 12 lol.

The dehydration and tiredness might be a contributing factor. Thank you. I keep telling myself I need to drink more water and I just don't. I don't usually eat those kinds of foods, but I've had terrible cravings for them recently and fruit and cereal just doesn't seem to satiate me.

I always have biscuits with my tea it wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Thank you for your reply, that advice really helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19, so definitely not a growth spurt. I haven't grown at all since I was like 12 lol.

The dehydration and tiredness might be a contributing factor. Thank you. I keep telling myself I need to drink more water and I just don't. I don't usually eat those kinds of foods, but I've had terrible cravings for them recently and fruit and cereal just doesn't seem to satiate me.

I always have biscuits with my tea it wouldn't be the same otherwise.

Thank you for your reply, that advice really helps
    What cereal are you eating? Lots of the cereals marketed as healthy actually contain a lot of sugar. Sugar makes your blood sugar levels spike so you feel more hungry - I'm currently doing a way of eating where I've cut out dairy, wheat and sugar and the less sugar you have, the less you crave it. Atm I only have honey and maple syrup because they're not refined. The best cereals are oat bran or oats - even cereals like weeatbix and bran flakes contain sugar, which is horrible because I love bran flakes!!

For a healthier sweet treat with your tea what about oatcakes/rice cakes with almond butter or peanut butter and banana? Or honey and banana? it's so delicious. Also check out Deliciously Ella for other healthy sweet treats she's been my saving grace, I have a horrible sweet tooth and used to eat tonnes of sweets/chocolate but not anymore

(Original post by infairverona)
    What cereal are you eating? Lots of the cereals marketed as healthy actually contain a lot of sugar. Sugar makes your blood sugar levels spike so you feel more hungry - I'm currently doing a way of eating where I've cut out dairy, wheat and sugar and the less sugar you have, the less you crave it. Atm I only have honey and maple syrup because they're not refined. The best cereals are oat bran or oats - even cereals like weeatbix and bran flakes contain sugar, which is horrible because I love bran flakes!!

For a healthier sweet treat with your tea what about oatcakes/rice cakes with almond butter or peanut butter and banana? Or honey and banana? it's so delicious. Also check out Deliciously Ella for other healthy sweet treats she's been my saving grace, I have a horrible sweet tooth and used to eat tonnes of sweets/chocolate but not anymore
    Porridge, muesli and Shreddies are my favourite and I have them with soya milk

I have a fast metabolism and low blood sugar, which is kind of why I've thought maybe I'm eating more. I thought if you had low blood sugar you wanted more sugar? I'm worried about the impact all the sugar is having on my teeth too

I haven't thought about rice cakes and I've never tried oatcakes, I will give them a try! A work colleague actually recommended Deliciously Ella, but I have to admit I haven't yet tried any of her recipes. Now I really have to try them

ReputationRep:
    Porridge, muesli and Shreddies are my favourite and I have them with soya milk

I have a fast metabolism and low blood sugar, which is kind of why I've thought maybe I'm eating more. I thought if you had low blood sugar you wanted more sugar? I'm worried about the impact all the sugar is having on my teeth too

I haven't thought about rice cakes and I've never tried oatcakes, I will give them a try! A work colleague actually recommended Deliciously Ella, but I have to admit I haven't yet tried any of her recipes. Now I really have to try them
    Porridge is good if it's just oats that you make yourself, muesli can be deceptive and have really high levels of sugar so watch out for that. Not sure about Shreddies. Low blood sugar makes you hungry so that would explain why you're hungry! You just need to make sure you're eating good food that will keep you full and not just sugary crap, I know it's hard when you're starving you just grab the nearest thing but you need to eat often, don't go more than 4 hours without eating etc to stop the binging urge. I used to binge a LOT like I would inhale a whole chocolate orange in about 30 seconds. If you feel like maybe you're not hungry between meals (when you're eating good food) I think sometimes it's worth having a little snack anyway because hunger can come out of nowhere and then suddenly you're unprepared and shovelling food into your face at 90mph.

Rice cakes are a bit bland but with the right topping they're really nice. They're also only 26 calories each and gluten free so no bloating! Deliciously Ella is great, the ingredients are sometimes a bit odd and it seems like it can be expensive but once you've bought a couple of things they last for ages and you can make healthy baked treats that don't give you the bad side effects of sugar. I've got raw cacao powder which you can get for around £5 and earlier I made her version of hot chocolate - almond milk, almond butter, raw cacao and honey, it was really delicious!

ReputationRep:
    if you exercise more, and keep yourself busy, this will help you not have enough time to eat. at least for me that's how I do it.

ReputationRep:
    agree with source, i do that too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.