Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

science revision! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what is the most effective way to revise for science gcses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afgsed)
    No one is the same and it can take past experience to find which types of revision techniques work best for you. It could be useful to find out which type of learner you are: visual, auditory or kinaesthetic. However, this doesn't mean you can't try out techniques from other categories. I am a visual learner and I personally find that mind maps work best for me. For each topic in science, I write the topic name in the middle of an A3 sheet of paper then write key facts and definitions before colour coding different sections and drawing necessary cycles. Other people find that post it notes or posters are useful, which you could put up around your room so you see them everyday. Others complete past papers and sample exam questions or test/ teach other people. I think that a balance between various revision techniques is very effective. If you've done B6 Brain and Mind yet, you would have learnt about how things affecting the sensors are more likely to be remembered. For example, patterns and colours are more likely to be remembered than simply reading the piece of information and trying to memorise it. I hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afgsed)
    Past papers!! Not only do you consolidate what you learn and work out what you don't, but you know how to word it to get the marks. The most useful tool there is, along with the examiners reports.

Understanding is easier than memorising. Find a victim (younger sibling/cat) and explain to them the joys of photosynthesis, because if you can teach the subject you know it well enough to do well in the exam (just ace the technique as well!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Good question! I've written some advice on how to get an A* in science here: http://oxbridgeblog.com/?p=504

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.