Turn on thread page Beta

What can I do to repair the relationship with my dad? watch

Announcements

I used to get on really well with my dad. We'd regularly go on weekend breaks to Wales to go walking in the mountains, just me and him (I have 4 other siblings). I could talk to him about anything and he would give me great advice and I felt that he really cared about me.

In my first year of university, he and my mum got divorced. It's been a few years now and we rarely talk. He got remarried to a woman with no children and they have no plans to have children. But I feel like he's completely forgotten about me. He has called me once in the past 4 years and we've spoken on Skype twice. I really miss our relationship and don't know whether it's going to always be like this now or what.... I have facebooked him a few times asking if he wants to talk on skype but he doesn't reply or when he does he says "sometime" but never does.

What can I do to get closer to him again.

It sounds like you're better off without him tbh. If he's not trying to make an effort why should you? You don't need him trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I used to get on really well with my dad. We'd regularly go on weekend breaks to Wales to go walking in the mountains, just me and him (I have 4 other siblings). I could talk to him about anything and he would give me great advice and I felt that he really cared about me.

In my first year of university, he and my mum got divorced. It's been a few years now and we rarely talk. He got remarried to a woman with no children and they have no plans to have children. But I feel like he's completely forgotten about me. He has called me once in the past 4 years and we've spoken on Skype twice. I really miss our relationship and don't know whether it's going to always be like this now or what.... I have facebooked him a few times asking if he wants to talk on skype but he doesn't reply or when he does he says "sometime" but never does.

As much as I appreciate the sentiment of 'his loss, you're better off without him', that might be a more painful and problematic route in the long run. Personally, I would recommend writing him a letter. Or an email. Something where you can open a dialogue that isn't as pressurising or imposing as a phone call. Something where you can write your feelings, express interest in forming a bond, or even saying all the things you ever wanted to say without fear or anxiety. It will allow him the time to reply and think through what he wants to say. I heartily recommend this.

If you truly want to make your relationship with him work, remember that he is your father and hopefully on some level he will respect that bond you have and try to make the effort. Maybe the reason why he's gone distant is his own guilt for divorcing your mother, or even his fear of getting in touch, the fear of rejection, etc. At the same time, it might not work out like that. If you write to him to no avail, at least you tried. But you don't know until you try.

Good luck.

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Invite him and new wife to lunch/coffee/see a film?

It may not work, but the fact that you're prepared to accept his new life should make him think a bit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.