The Student Room Group

Black History Month

As this is Black History Month, let's use this thread to celebrate all of Africa's & Black people's contributions to world history..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheSexyApple
U are TSRs biggest racist. **** off. And go suck some bbc

what are you talking about?
[video="youtube;GeixtYS-P3s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s[/video]
Do only black people get a month dedicated to them?
lets keep the mood positive here please!
Original post by DiddyDec
[video="youtube;GeixtYS-P3s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s[/video]

the boss
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Do only black people get a month dedicated to them?

The whole point of Black history month in the USA and UK is to show the culture black people had and their history before being wiped clean and brought to their host nations as slaves by force. It is unique in itself
Original post by TheTruthTeller
The whole point of Black history month in the USA and UK is to show the culture black people had and their history before being wiped clean and brought to their host nations as slaves by force. It is unique in itself

So why isn't it called black culture month?
Reply 8
Enslaved for hundreds of years and yet people still complain when they get a month to celebrate some of their most important figures in history.

One ****ed up world.
So why isn't it called black culture month?

Culture comes under history and so do many other things which BHM aims to provide knowledge about... such as the plight of blacks into their nations etc. If you are happy remembering WW2 and the holocaust why not remember the greatest tragedy of history? The remains of which can still be seen today.
Does anyone have any info of Ancient Africa and their civilisations?

I totally agree with him. I find the whole thing quite stupid, why is it only black people who get a month dedicated to themselves? What about Irish people? They were slaves? They were treated badly? However we don't have Irish History Month do we? What a bunch of bullocks.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Culture comes under history and so do many other things which BHM aims to provide knowledge about... such as the plight of blacks into their nations etc. If you are happy remembering WW2 and the holocaust why not remember the greatest tragedy of history? The remains of which can still be seen today.

But slavery is already covered throughout the rest of the year anyway.

I wouldn't call it the greatest tragedy of history though.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Does anyone have any info of Ancient Africa and their civilisations?

Ancient Egyptians, you may have heard of them.
Reply 14
But slavery is already covered throughout the rest of the year anyway.

I wouldn't call it the greatest tragedy of history though.

so what it is?

Nooo, I mean sub-Saharan Africa. You only learn about Ancient Egypt.
what's the difference between BHM and say... a TV channel showing programmes related to a particular theme for a certain period of time (e.g. Christmas)?

edit: I'll just leave this here

I ask this because unless I have completely misunderstood the nature or True Meaning™ of Black History Month - and please educate me if this is the case - I don't really see a problem? It's just a period of a month in which events are used to raise awareness of black history, just like Prostate Cancer Awareness Month might be used to teach more people (i.e. raise awareness) about the disease, or BBC Three's disability season (a recent-ish example) might be used to teach people about the challenges that people with different disabilities face.

I'm not sure how talking about what black people in the past did causes or perpetuates racism either... making it easier for people to learn about it is certainly better than it being completely forgotten, just as with the history of any person or group of people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.
so what it is?

I would probably say the reign of Genghis Khan, he killed about 40 million people, 10% of the world population at the time.
Exactly, if there is a back history month then why isn't there a Jewish history month. Like Morgan Freeman said if we want to eliminate racism then stop talking about it.
But they enslaved Nubians who were black!

Quick Reply

Latest