Tomorrow (19th Oct), Parliament will debate stopping ALL immigration to The UK.

Watch
TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The debate begins at 16:30 in Westminster Hall. You can watch it live here: http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index...3-6a6deb279c4d

It's in relation to a petition which garnered nearly 200,000 signatures. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477

What's interesting is that this is a petition which proposes stopping ALL immigration; the vast majority of people - nearly 70% - and all minority groups in The UK are in favour of a reduction or significant reduction in mass immigration (according to The British Social Attitudes Survey), however this is the most extreme position and it still garnered 200,000 signatures. It spells out the extent of anger and frustration with the present system.

I would expect pro-immigration petitions to garner a lot of online support. From my experiences left-wingers are by nature collective, and are far more likely to be involved in online campaigns and the likes to push their views on the majority - all the majority wants is to preserve the status quo (and there's less impetus to preserve, than to change).

Even though it serves little to no practical purpose while we remain a member of The EU, it will be interesting to watch the debate.
Official House of Commons
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The debate pack produced by the House of Commons Library for MPs taking part in the debate is available now.

Debate on an e-petition relating to immigration
This debate pack has been compiled in preparation for the debate. It is intended to provide some background information on the issue by giving a brief overview of Government policy and the available statistics. It also includes summaries and links to the most recent debates in the House on immigration, ministerial statements and Parliamentary Questions. It is not designed to support any particular argument nor the views expressed in the e-petition itself.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't wait until we are the next Japan

*Waits* Oh we're not as industrious as the Japanese either so doubt financial markets will allow our debt to go to such an extent. *Waits for the default*.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Can't wait until we are the next Japan

*Waits* Oh we're not as industrious as the Japanese either so doubt financial markets will allow our debt to go to such an extent. *Waits for the default*.
And ha Japanese are going to die off completely in a thousand years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads