Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am really struggling to chose my A levels. I have already decided I want to do psychology.
    But I really don't know about the other two.. I have a passion for Biology & Chemistry, but thinking long term, what jobs could I get with those?

So is psychology, chemistry & biology a good combination?
    And what jobs could I get with those A levels?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattJ0902)
    Hi there,

I am really struggling to chose my A levels. I have already decided I want to do psychology.
    But I really don't know about the other two.. I have a passion for Biology & Chemistry, but thinking long term, what jobs could I get with those?

Thanks in advance.
    Are you planning on going to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Are you planning on going to university?
    Yes I should've put what could I study at Uni, considering I get good enough grades haha

ReputationRep:
    Yes I should've put what could I study at Uni, considering I get good enough grades haha
    Here's a website that will suggest which degrees you can do with your A-Levels:
    http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/
    And this one will tell you what jobs you can do with your degree:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_w...ur_subject.htm
    Hope these help!

I'm currently doing A2 Psychology, it's awesome

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
    What degree would you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
    Don't fret about your A-level choices for next year.

Choose four now and gradually over time change them as and when you want.

Then hopefully by the end of Y11 you will have a clear set of A-levels you want to do! Choosing a fixed set this early is just as damaging as choosing them in a rush in September.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I did biology, chemistry, maths with stats and psychology. I think they went together really well because there was a lot of crossover and things you learn in one subject can help you to understand things that aren't explained well in other subjects. For example in the biological approach of psychology you learn a bit about nerves and synapses but not in much detail, but if you do biology you learn about cells and membranes and all that so you understand the psychology better. The better you understand something the better you will remember it, and if you're covering the same/similar topics taught by different teachers again you will find it easier to remember because you will have less to learn and will have had it explained in a few different ways by different people. So I would say that biology, chemistry and psychology are a perfect combination!

I would suggest that you maybe also consider looking into doing some kind of maths course because it's useful for all three. There's a lot of stuff about statistical tests in psychology and some in biology, and biology and chemistry papers always have maths questions on them so you might find it helpful to make sure you don't loose touch with your maths. Pure maths with stats (what I did) or just statists would be good a/as levels to do alongside, but anything like that would be useful. Some colleges offer extra maths courses if you don't do a maths-related a level to keep you well practiced, so maybe speak to them about that.

In terms of jobs you will not find yourself limited with those subjects! You could definitely do something like child psychology or even potentially social work, or something more science based like biochemistry, neuroscience, or maybe even geology if your chemistry is good enough. Some people with thses a levels do completely different things like law or banking, so you will have lots of choice, especially if you get very good grades.

Hope this help good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a biological sciences degree and have found that there are so many jobs involving the sciences so yeah good choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    What degree would you want to do?
    I am unsure of what degree I want to do, I am wondering which degrees would be open and the best choice to go for if I did psychology, chemistry & biology.
    I am really hesitant to go for a degree in psychology because I really would want to be a psychologist but it takes so long and is so competitive... Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy)
    Last year I did biology, chemistry, maths with stats and psychology. I think they went together really well because there was a lot of crossover and things you learn in one subject can help you to understand things that aren't explained well in other subjects. For example in the biological approach of psychology you learn a bit about nerves and synapses but not in much detail, but if you do biology you learn about cells and membranes and all that so you understand the psychology better. The better you understand something the better you will remember it, and if you're covering the same/similar topics taught by different teachers again you will find it easier to remember because you will have less to learn and will have had it explained in a few different ways by different people. So I would say that biology, chemistry and psychology are a perfect combination!

I would suggest that you maybe also consider looking into doing some kind of maths course because it's useful for all three. There's a lot of stuff about statistical tests in psychology and some in biology, and biology and chemistry papers always have maths questions on them so you might find it helpful to make sure you don't loose touch with your maths. Pure maths with stats (what I did) or just statists would be good a/as levels to do alongside, but anything like that would be useful. Some colleges offer extra maths courses if you don't do a maths-related a level to keep you well practiced, so maybe speak to them about that.

In terms of jobs you will not find yourself limited with those subjects! You could definitely do something like child psychology or even potentially social work, or something more science based like biochemistry, neuroscience, or maybe even geology if your chemistry is good enough. Some people with thses a levels do completely different things like law or banking, so you will have lots of choice, especially if you get very good grades.

Hope this help good luck!

Originally I was wanting to do Maths, but I saw some Past papers and then it put me off because of how difficult it looked... Right now, I am getting B's & A's in Maths, but I worry if i actually take Maths at A level I will struggle and not get good grades.

Employment is the main priority for me, I don't want to go to university for over 6+ years, like if I was going to be a psychologist.

Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Originally I was wanting to do Maths, but I saw some Past papers and then it put me off because of how difficult it looked... Right now, I am getting B's & A's in Maths, but I worry if i actually take Maths at A level I will struggle and not get good grades.

Employment is the main priority for me, I don't want to go to university for over 6+ years, like if I was going to be a psychologist.

Thanks for the reply
    If you think you're going to struggle then maybe it's the right decision not to do it because you don't want it to take revision time away from other subjects. I would still look into doing some kind of non-exam mini maths course though, just to keep you in the swing of things.

To be honest, good sciency a levels will make you very employable in any job, even some that are unrelated, so there's no need to worry about that yet. For now, I'd just focus on making sure you are doing subjects you enjoy and don't find too difficult

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure of what degree I want to do, I am wondering which degrees would be open and the best choice to go for if I did psychology, chemistry & biology.
    I am really hesitant to go for a degree in psychology because I really would want to be a psychologist but it takes so long and is so competitive... Thanks for the reply!
    I'm on a gap year at the moment, but have a place to study psychology next year.
    Universities love science and maths A-Levels for Psychology courses, and a lot of them will actually give you lower offers because of them.
    My main advice would be to take subjects you enjoy, because ultimately they will be easier to study and you will find that you will do better the more you enjoy your A-Levels.
    Hope this helps in any way, good luck with whatever you choose to do

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.