Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When to apply for student finance? watch

Announcements

Hello all.

I'm a mature student. Aged 26. I completed my UCAS applications last week, and did my LNAT test too.

When is the best time to start the student finance paperwork and application?

Don't have anyone to ask.

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I asked a lady on an open day and apparently they open up the student finance stuff by January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pythian)
    Hello all.

I'm a mature student. Aged 26. I completed my UCAS applications last week, and did my LNAT test too.

When is the best time to start the student finance paperwork and application?

Don't have anyone to ask.

Thanks a lot.
    It generally opens January/February- best to get it done asap if you can in case of delays.

ReputationRep:
    as soon as they open applications. They seem to make a lot of errors and the longer you have to correct them the better. Also as a mature student you might have to supply evidence of income. If you have to talk to someone on the phone be prepared for a long wait before the call is answered.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add, as you're over 25, you will be assessed as an independent student. If you're going into a full-time course you will automatically be assessed as having zero income from a job, and get the maximum loan. You will only have to provide evidence of any income from other sources e.g. rent on property you own, interest on savings etc.

This aspect of the SF assessment can be very much easier for a mature student.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.