Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Few weeks into access to law, I can't wrap my head around referencing at all, it makes me sick and kills any willingness to engage with academia at all.

I wrote a full to-be-marked essay, weeks before the assignment officially began because the content was fresh at the time, and we knew far enough in advance that why not. Now we become awared of the referencing system we must conform to, and is it apparent that since I hadn't broken up any and all of my reading to note down every single page, source, book, website...I don't even

It's obscenely oppressive. You can't freely read in academia. That's the case? You can't think for yourself, because you must necessarily cite others constantly. The given reasons include that 'in academia, ideas are currency (no citation)'. Yea, disgusting. Ownership of ideas and information. This is clear in both method (the ref. systems you are coerced into) and result (journals publishing information restricted by price and restricted by similarly coerced use of unintelligible, self referential terminology that keeps 'us' and 'them' divided.

So I'm sick of this very early on. I can't wrap my head around how it works, and I don't want to be a part of it. But I also decided to study to try and make the world better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M518)
    Few weeks into access to law, I can't wrap my head around referencing at all, it makes me sick and kills any willingness to engage with academia at all.

I wrote a full to-be-marked essay, weeks before the assignment officially began because the content was fresh at the time, and we knew far enough in advance that why not. Now we become awared of the referencing system we must conform to, and is it apparent that since I hadn't broken up any and all of my reading to note down every single page, source, book, website...I don't even

It's obscenely oppressive. You can't freely read in academia. That's the case? You can't think for yourself, because you must necessarily cite others constantly. The given reasons include that 'in academia, ideas are currency (no citation)'. Yea, disgusting. Ownership of ideas and information. This is clear in both method (the ref. systems you are coerced into) and result (journals publishing information restricted by price and restricted by similarly coerced use of unintelligible, self referential terminology that keeps 'us' and 'them' divided.

So I'm sick of this very early on. I can't wrap my head around how it works, and I don't want to be a part of it. But I also decided to study to try and make the world better.
    My tutor says I should keep notes of what I have read, and I have to use a combination of in text referencing, and a reference list. in all assignments.
    the referencing I use isn't that complex. just the author, title, date, where and when accessed etc... lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.